The Firearms Forum banner

DEVILED EGGS, how do you make and enjoy yours ? Some simple recipes.

6K views 43 replies 25 participants last post by  Twang 
#1 ·
My wife made us a batch of DEVILED EGGS to munch on this Memorial Day weekend.

She has a few good recipes for them but she made this one from the Martha Stewart Cookbook. We have a couple of her cookbooks but this is a very simple and delicious recipe only 5 ingredients.

Bon appetit !

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
A little easier to read version of Martha Stewart's recipe.

I also like deviled eggs with a few drops of Frank's Red ♥ Hot sauce or Tabasco on mine especially together with hotdogs and sauerkraut !

Ingredients
Ingredient Checklist
  • 8 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon white-wine vinegar
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions
Instructions Checklist
  • Step 1
    In a medium saucepan, cover eggs with 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 12 minutes. Drain eggs; run under cold water until cool enough to handle.
  • Step 2
    Peel and halve eggs lengthwise; remove yolks and transfer to a bowl. Mash with a fork; mix in mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar. Press through a sieve to make smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Step 3
    Using a pastry bag fitted with desired tip (we used plain and star tips), pipe yolk mixture into whites. Serve immediately, or chill up to 2 hours.
Cook's Notes
Instead of piping the filling with a pastry bag and tip, you can use a resealable plastic bag with a corner snipped off. Or simply spoon it into the egg whites.

#8 ·
At my house Kathy makes 'em, I just do the taste testing. :) Same with tater salad, she adds the stuff and I tell her when it's just right or if it needs a little more of something. For deviled eggs she uses mayo, a pinch of sugar, some yellow mustard and sweet pickle juice and a little bit of dill pickle juice.

#13 ·
Real mayo, spicy brown mustard (or Grey Poupon if i have any) fresh chives (growing on the back deck) splash of Tabasco, splash of lemon juice, dust w/ paprika. Use a ziplock bag to fill the egg whites.

Oldest grandson is a professional chef. He makes SQUARE deviled eggs. Separates the whites, fill square cake pan 1/2 inch deep with egg whites, steams until done, cuts into squares. Steams egg yolks until hard, whips with mayo, mustard, splash of wine vinegar, puts in pastry bag, applies the whites, dust with dried parsley and paprika. People ask him "where do you get square eggs?" He tells them Nepal- land is very steep, square eggs don't roll away. .

#14 ·
Appreciate the recipes. I added a few to my Deviled eggs recipe files. 👍

I have an extensive file of various recipes that have been offered up by various Forum Brothers and Sisters, over the years. Always looking to add to it.

Keep em' coming.

#21 ·
My mom always made deviled eggs with just mayo and mustard. I made mine the same way she did and accidently put sweet relish in it one day. I guess I forgot what I was making and thought I was making potato salad. I thought I had ruined it but it was so good that now I make it that way all the time but I would never, ever put vinegar in it.

#27 · (Edited)
I make them every year for the family get together on Easter & Christmas.
I hard boil 18 eggs, then split in half length ways. Separate the yokes from the whites & lay the whites in my special tray. Mash up the yokes with a fork until fine then dump into a food processor. pour in about a cup or a little more of Miracle Whip & process until smooth.
Then add two good squirts of mustard & while processing add sugar until the surface has a shine to it. It's not much maybe 1/4 cup.
Then I scoop out the mixture into a large freezer Ziploc bag seal it then cut off the tip of the corner to make a dispensing bag. I put a large amount of the yoke mixture into each egg white cup, then lightly sprinkle smoked paprika in a small spot on top.

#28 · (Edited)
Excellent ! Sounds a lot like my late mother in law's old hunkie deviled eggs she used Hungarian paprika on top. Made 18-24 eggs for our crew (and me).

I'm good except for the Miracle Whip we prefer Hellman's mayo well for 50+ years for me until my wife bought Berman's......I'm hooked ! But MW would be fine just a personal preference -but- sugar is a new one on us.

#30 ·
Cut medium-soft boiled eggs in half, remove yolks to a bowl. Add a bit of whole milk, followed a bit of garlic powder, onion powder and a pinch of dill weed. Mix with fork. Stuff back into the halves. Enjoy!

Another good one is a dash of onion and garlic powders and sliced sweet pickles, following whole milk. Sometimes I’ll add a bit of butter or mayonnaise to either, but usually just whole milk.

Mmmmmmm

Broot

#32 ·
Miracle whip is nasty... hahaha
I like MW once in awhile for a change of taste then back to good ol' Hellman's for over 50 years I thought I'd NEVER switch, ever until my wife was at Aldi's and brought home a jar of Berman's Mayonnaise.

It looks exactly like Hellman's a copy a complete knockoff down to the lettering on the jar........ except it tasted better AND it was cheaper I'm hooked. And Berman's mustard (looks like French's) catsup (looks like Heinz) and more.

SO you never know, like I've always said......"you have to try new things", especially in food ! :)

#36 · (Edited)
That sounds good. Kind of like a grilled cheese sandwich or a spam sandwich there's no wrong way to make deviled eggs......as long as YOU like them.

Still reminds me of our friend's deviled eggs that were spicy with mustard seasoning and a stuffed pimento olive on top. I loved 💕 them, my wife not so much I'd eat almost all of them. :giggle:

.......... edit add, a tip the first day take your deviled eggs out of the tray and thoroughly dry it maybe twice that day they won't get as soggy in the refrigerator to the last egg.

And we'd make at least 24+ for big gatherings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.