The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to the firearms world (about a year now) and have loved every second of it. However, i recently bought a Mossberg MVP predator and i had not heard of breaking in a barrel until i had already shot 40 rounds through it. Should i break in the barrel now? or is their no point now?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Some guys never do any type of break-in procedure and their rifles turn out fine too.

It's pretty much a personal preference but you can start over with what you've got now too if you want to.
Basically, just clean your powder and copper fouling out and you'll start with a fairly "fresh" barrel.

You can chose to fire-lap the barrel with abrasive coated bullets or just use regular bullets and clean frequently for the first few rounds.
The general idea of barrel break-in is to polish up the bore surface, which will happen eventually by regular use anyway. But by cleaning between shots you will get a more even polish job on the bore surface. The abrasive-based fire-lapping systems will help speed up the process.

And welcome to TFF!

·
Banned
10,196 Posts
the manufacturer probably shot some rounds thru it already also.

Years ago I never did and I have some tac drivers. Only recently did I start the process. I think your ok. Keep shooting and have fun.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
There is no proven fact that it helps accuracy, just that it helps smooth out burrs in the rifling and grease/oils in the bore when the barrel was manufactured. I broke my bolt action in, with a few patches and brushes the first few shots, only cause it doesn't take much time. As for accuracy/performance from the gun, don't worry at all. Here's a good demonstration of a guy throwing a nice Kimber Montana on some rocks, and then shows how it's still zero'd and hit some steel 700 yards away.

http://youtu.be/TRRahHX9Zkg

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hummm... I have some of my late Uncles Rifles that hadn't been fired since the late 80's. I know they were accurate back then but when I shot them they were all over the place by about a foot, bores looked good no visible surface rust. After shooting about 50 rounds they have tightened back up and shooting good tight patterns. Anyone else heard of this? I also remember my first deer rifle, a leveraction Marlin 30-30 from WallyWorld shot all over the place. My buddy said thats as good as a 30-30 gets, but another friend told me to buy a bore brush and clean the heck out of it. I ended up shooting quarters at 100 yards.

·
Premium Member
13,258 Posts
johnnyehlers;1126346 After shooting about 50 rounds they have tightened back up and shooting good tight patterns. Anyone else heard of this? [/QUOTE said:
Over time - as in since the late '80s - stocks can shrink, change bearing or stress points etc., and it sometimes takes a bit of shooting for the barreled action to settle down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts