Did some gun trading today.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gdmoody, Apr 29, 2009.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

A couple of months ago I bought a .40 cal Springfied XD(m). Only fired two magazines of ammo through it to find out that I absolutely hated the thing. Threw it in the trunk of my car where it remained until today.

I went by my friends gun shop, on my way to work, to pick up a pound of Varget powder that he was holding for me. As I was walking around I spotted this OD Green rifle with a really funny looking barrel. I went over and picked it up and fell in love with the Remington Model 700 VTR in .308 Win. I went back out to the car and brought the XDm in and did some trading. I had to give him the XDm and a 100 bucks for the rifle but I think I will get more use out of the rifle.

I left it with him to put a scope mount on it, so I will post pictures of it in a couple of days. Here is a picture I copied from the Remington web site:

EDIT: I got so excited about the rifle that I forgot to get my powder!!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

Wasn't there an article on those in the April American Rifleman? I would like to get my hands on one and look it over.

3. gdmoody

I am glad you mentioned it, I just went back and looked. There was a short mention of it in the New Guns, optics and ammo in the April issue of American Rifleman and there was a story about the .204 Ruger chambering in the June issue of GUNS magazine.

4. pawn

pawn Active Member

nice trade for a beautiful rifle... chambered in .308, perfect!!!

5. gdmoody

I picked it up yesterday. A beautiful rifle, if I do say so myself!!:)

Here are some pictures of my new play toy. #1 - the rifle / #2 - the action / #3 - the barrel / #4 - the compensated barrel

6. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

Wow, that is a good looking rifle. What about the action? Is it polished and smooooooooth as butter? :D

I bet you could hit a punkin @ 1,000 yards with that rifle! :eek: Aim small, miss small

7. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

I love that rifle. I had been looking at them online anyway, then a buddy had to go and buy one. I got to handle it, but not shoot it. You'll have to let me know how yours shoots.

8. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I think you did very well on your trade. I hope she shoots as good as she looks.

9. techoca

techoca New Member

Nice trade. Please post a range report for us when you are able to shoot her.

10. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Man thats one fine looking rifle! I hadnt seen them till now, wow I might have to get me one of those please let us now how she shoots!I was glad to see your post about the springfield also, was considering buying one in 45 but didnt know anyone that had one in any calibre. Thanks for the info and have a great time.

11. gdmoody

Thanks for the comments, I was hoping to get out to the range in the morning, but the weather forecast does not look good, 80% chance of Thundergoodies. If I don't make it tomorrow the next opportunity will be next Monday the 11th.

I went out to my reloading building in-between churches today and loaded up 40 practice rounds of .308 to try out in it after I get it sighted in.

I loaded 5 rounds of 168 gr Hornady A-max and 5 rounds of 168 Gr Sierra Matchking using 32.6 grains of Varget. Then using the same bullets I loaded with 34.9 grains of Varget, then the same with 37.1 grains of Varget, and last the same with 39.4 grains of Varget. (Varget is the only powder I could get hold of).

I will try to find out which one of these loads and bullets it likes best, then I will stick with that load. I will post the results here, whenever I get out to try it.

12. davem

davem Member

my son has one in 308 and it doesnt group the greatest 1 1/2- 2" groups @100 yds. another guy i no has the same gun and his was the same way. he put a aftermarket stock on it and it will shoot under 3/4" all day. ive tried factory loads nad some hand loads with various bullet weights and nothing seems to make a difference. hope you got a good shooter and enjoy.

13. gdmoody

I FINALLY made it to the range today.

It was storming when I got up at 6:30 so I was resolved that I wasn't going to make it to the range again. :mad: It seemed to be clearing up about 9:00 so I decided to go ahead and go. The day turned out beautiful.:D

I absolutely love this rifle. I have attached a picture of two of my three round groups, fired at 100 yards. These groups were made with the 37.1 grains of Varget. The group a little low to the left was with the 168 grain Sierra Matchking bullet and the other group was with the 168 grain Hornady A-Max. The 39.4 loads weren't bad either but not like this load! The groups are 1 inch on the Matchking and 7/8 inch on the A-max, measured from edge to edge. I would have to recommend this rifle if I were asked.

So I think I have have found the recipe that I will probably stay with. When I am able get some different powders I will load up another group of practice shots and will try again.

davem, I don't think I would change a thing, I think I got that shooter!!:):D

I did not so so well with my Savage .17HMR, the scope was just too low and very uncomfortable to try to see through.

14. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

That is some fine shooting! It must be an awesome weapon as well. Really like the look of it, but i bet it "feels" better! What kind of scope are you useing, is there a reason you didnt use peep sight mountings? (sometimes called see through)

15. gdmoody

dragon, I am using a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X40 with the BDC reticle. There are no "iron" sights on the rifle (scope only). I have the see-thru sights on my old Winchester 30.06.

Next time I get out to the range I will try for 200 yards and possibly 300.