The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Growing up in the country I was introduced to guns early in life. I started shooting my Dad's Mossberg Mod.35 .22 about age 8. My close friend lived on a farm a half mile up the road from me. Of course I was in the barn often. In the milk house in the barn there was a shelf where three guns stood which belonged to my friend's older brother. We were never allowed to touch them but it was great just to look at them. One was a .22 I didn't pay much attention to but there was a Winchester Mod. 12 16 Ga. and a Winchester 1894 .32 Special. To me these were the "God of Guns". Oh, how I longed to own guns like these someday.
Over the years I had bought other guns but never came across any like these in good condition so I never aquired the guns of my dreams.
About ten years ago I was talking to another friend of mine and we were talking guns and I mentioned the Mod. 12 16 Ga. My friend said he had one but it was broken so he didn't use it. He showed me the gun and I offered to buy it. My friend said he'd do better than that. I'd done him a couple favors so he handed me the gun and told me it was mine. I was elated.
I brought the gun home and looked it over. The action was jammed tight. I took it apart and found the extractor was broken and a piece had become lodged in the action. I bought a new extractor but even after some filing and grinding I couldn't get it to fit properly. I ordered another and had the same issue. I put the gun back together and set it aside disappointed. There is only one gunsmith up in my area and if you take something there it may be a year or more to get it back if you can afford to pay his price.
Shortly afterward a customer and friend of mine came into my auto repair shop for some service and while his truck was being serviced he asked me if I knew anyone who might be interested in buying some guns. It seems his wife's dad had passed away and my friend's wife had four guns she didn't want in the house. My friend didn't know what they were but when I said I'd be interested he told me he'd bring them in for me to look at. When he came in all four guns were in cases. There was a Remington 7600 .30-06, a Remington 740 30-06, a Savage .22 and the "Holy Grail", an 1894 Winchester .32 Win. Special. I didn't hesitate nor did I lowball him. I bought all four guns at a fair price and nearly cried.
When I brought the guns home I got thinking about the Mod. 12 and called another friend who had used a gunsmith about 90 miles away. I called the gunsmith and he said to bring the shotgun down so he could have a look. I took the shotgun down, the gunsmith took one look and said he could fix it. I asked how long it would be before I could pick it up. He told me to hang tight for a minute. He went into his back room and came back out with a new Winchester OEM extractor, took the gun apart and the part fit perfectly. A quick cleaning and reassembly and the gun functioned just fine. He loaded and pumped the shells out and it functioned like new. Best part was he charged me $35 for the part and labor. I was very appreciative, handed him a 50 dollar bill and told him I didn't want any change back. Two friends were made that day.
I have some pretty nice guns. I have a beautiful display case my wife had custom made for me and gave me for Christmas 20 or more years ago I store some of my guns in. Guess which two are displayed front and center and will never be shot?

·
GUNZILLA
6,478 Posts
Not firing a firearm is like marrying the woman of your dreams and never make love to her. I do not understand owning a gun for collection purposes but I am uneducated in those matters but still respect those that do. I get odd looks when people see me firing my colt python, I am even considering sending it to Turnbull so they can do their magic I thing it would look good along with a set of ivory type grips.

Regardless you have a wonderful collection and I really always get what I want even in my younger years as I got into shooting. If it meant that I gave up beer, cigarettes, and clubbing for a few months to buy what I wanted, I would. I have become more practical through the years, my wife calls it cynical but I realized early on that a 300 dollar gun shoots just as good or better than a 3000 dollar one. It's all on the shooter and ammo, but there are exceptions always and until something else catches my eye, I will always probably never give up on wanting a certain firearm.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Two of my brothers in law had rifles I've always wanted, or at least the models I've always wanted, Mel had an 1894 Winchester Rifle in .32 Winchester Special and Larry had an 1892 rifle in 25.20. I've always had a sweet tooth for the early Winchester lever rifles, there is just something about those octagon barreled rifles that appealed to me. The carbines, not so much. :)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
There are a lot of guns I really want but they're old and expensive. At 63 and on disability I'm not likely to be getting any of them. There's an original 1873 Winchester rifle at my LGS that has been there for awhile. It's not pristine but the wood is excellent and it functions perfectly. I pick it up and drool all over it every time I go in there.:D

·
9,716 Posts
Not firing a firearm is like marrying the woman of your dreams and never make love to her. I do not understand owning a gun for collection purposes but I am uneducated in those matters but still respect those that do. I get odd looks when people see me firing my colt python, I am even considering sending it to Turnbull so they can do their magic I thing it would look good along with a set of ivory type grips.

Regardless you have a wonderful collection and I really always get what I want even in my younger years as I got into shooting. If it meant that I gave up beer, cigarettes, and clubbing for a few months to buy what I wanted, I would. I have become more practical through the years, my wife calls it cynical but I realized early on that a 300 dollar gun shoots just as good or better than a 3000 dollar one. It's all on the shooter and ammo, but there are exceptions always and until something else catches my eye, I will always probably never give up on wanting a certain firearm.
Yup, for the money, I can shoot a S/W over a Kimber.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Had a list of a few guns I wanted.
Remington XP 100. Got one!!
M1A. Got one! Got about 1000 rounds thru it and it keeps on ticking. ;) :cool:
Never did get a M1 Carbine like I wanted. (but there's still time)
Looking for XP 100 to build into another rifle for my Wildcat "20 TCM".
Desert Eagle. Had 2 ea. in 44 Mag. A real handful. :cool:
Wouldn't mind having a Martini converted to center fire for the Wildcat "20 TCM".

·
Premium Member
17,963 Posts
Larry had an 1892 rifle in 25.20. I've always had a sweet tooth for the early Winchester lever rifles, there is just something about those octagon barreled rifles that appealed to me.
Had my '92 .25-20 out a couple days ago to the range. I try to get it out before the snow hits the ground cause the darn thing throws the empty cases way over my shoulder into the snow making them hard to find. At a dollar a case i don't want to lose any.:(

·
Premium Member
9,910 Posts
Left to right

Winchester Model 42
Winchester Model 12 16 Gauge
Winchester Model 12 12 Gauge
BPS 12 Gauge
BPS 20 Gauge Upland Special
Savage 24
Mossberg 500E

Not in the pick are
Winchester 1897 30 barrel
Winchester 1897 Riot Barrel
Belgian A5 Light Twelve

Everyone of them gets shot regularly as time allows. Only guns I’d never shoot would cost more than I’m ever going to spend on a gun. This reminds me.....I’ve gotta find a trap range here in Oklahoma.

47492437-95FC-4452-8D77-E49F3207CAD9.jpeg

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
What’s humbling is as I get older the bucket list of guns gets shorter...

I own or have owned every gun I ever dreamed about (within reason, of course,like I know I will never own an M1a1 Thompson among others...😉). The Garand I had to have I ownedsold it, lamented it, but last week got a better CMPone😉

But when I was a kid there were two rifles I knew I had to have “someday,” a .220 Swift and a .375 H&H, even though I never knew what I’d use them for.

But about 10 -12 years ago I got invited to shoot P’dogs in SD, loved it, and the next year despite everybody telling me to buy a .22-250, I bought a Swift! (-250s are for wusses can’t handle life at 4000😎)

Now when it ran its course, and I didn’t go anymore, I sold it- this time no regrets...the Swift is still killing ‘dogs even though I’m not...and I turned it into the ‘94 .30-30 I wanted, a SWEET Sako M39 I wanted too, (only not as much as the Swift😉). But I enjoyed it, and I can share enough boring (to you, not me😊) Swift stories for

But the .375? Unless I hit the Hoosier Lottery or something, SOON, 😎I will NEVER go to Africa, and probably never hunt Brownies or polar bears...

But I WILL own one before I die...😎

But all the other “secondary” “must haves” I seem to be “accumulating...” so my “must have “ list is getting noticeably smaller...I guess it’s one more sign of getting old?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I think I miss hunting the bunnies and grouse with first Dad and then my Uncles like we did when I was much, much younger. That is when a shotgun really comes into its own. When I first came to Illinois from Northern NJ and the Catskills in NY, I wanted certain kinds of shotguns but when I got here, much of the small game hunting was starting to go downhill. They were starting to farm every inch of property to make ends meet and the hedgerows were disappearing along the the winter wheat they used to grow. Finally, the need for that light fast double or short pump was gone.

But there are still the memories, like letMGrow had of my uncles Marlin .32 and Grandpas early 94. I don't know how anyone can go through life without at least a couple of lever actions to enjoy. I like my .357 Marlin but I must say I enjoy the Canadian Centennial 26" oct barreled commemorative even more. I love shooting that thing. They hold oh so steady. It may not have the feel of a pre 1964 but I still enjoy it. I suppose one I'd have loved to have would be a rifle length 1886 in 45-70.

I suppose I could understand not shooting one. Look how many grace mantels. Some may have been guns from the family years ago, handed down with memories.
003.jpg

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Growing up in the country I was introduced to guns early in life. I started shooting my Dad's Mossberg Mod.35 .22 about age 8. My close friend lived on a farm a half mile up the road from me. Of course I was in the barn often. In the milk house in the barn there was a shelf where three guns stood which belonged to my friend's older brother. We were never allowed to touch them but it was great just to look at them. One was a .22 I didn't pay much attention to but there was a Winchester Mod. 12 16 Ga. and a Winchester 1894 .32 Special. To me these were the "God of Guns". Oh, how I longed to own guns like these someday.
Over the years I had bought other guns but never came across any like these in good condition so I never aquired the guns of my dreams.
About ten years ago I was talking to another friend of mine and we were talking guns and I mentioned the Mod. 12 16 Ga. My friend said he had one but it was broken so he didn't use it. He showed me the gun and I offered to buy it. My friend said he'd do better than that. I'd done him a couple favors so he handed me the gun and told me it was mine. I was elated.
I brought the gun home and looked it over. The action was jammed tight. I took it apart and found the extractor was broken and a piece had become lodged in the action. I bought a new extractor but even after some filing and grinding I couldn't get it to fit properly. I ordered another and had the same issue. I put the gun back together and set it aside disappointed. There is only one gunsmith up in my area and if you take something there it may be a year or more to get it back if you can afford to pay his price.
Shortly afterward a customer and friend of mine came into my auto repair shop for some service and while his truck was being serviced he asked me if I knew anyone who might be interested in buying some guns. It seems his wife's dad had passed away and my friend's wife had four guns she didn't want in the house. My friend didn't know what they were but when I said I'd be interested he told me he'd bring them in for me to look at. When he came in all four guns were in cases. There was a Remington 7600 .30-06, a Remington 740 30-06, a Savage .22 and the "Holy Grail", an 1894 Winchester .32 Win. Special. I didn't hesitate nor did I lowball him. I bought all four guns at a fair price and nearly cried.
When I brought the guns home I got thinking about the Mod. 12 and called another friend who had used a gunsmith about 90 miles away. I called the gunsmith and he said to bring the shotgun down so he could have a look. I took the shotgun down, the gunsmith took one look and said he could fix it. I asked how long it would be before I could pick it up. He told me to hang tight for a minute. He went into his back room and came back out with a new Winchester OEM extractor, took the gun apart and the part fit perfectly. A quick cleaning and reassembly and the gun functioned just fine. He loaded and pumped the shells out and it functioned like new. Best part was he charged me $35 for the part and labor. I was very appreciative, handed him a 50 dollar bill and told him I didn't want any change back. Two friends were made that day.
I have some pretty nice guns. I have a beautiful display case my wife had custom made for me and gave me for Christmas 20 or more years ago I store some of my guns in. Guess which two are displayed front and center and will never be shot?
I think for me the rifle that I really want is a Springfield Armory M1A either the Scout or SOCOM model in .308 caliber. I used an M-14 for awhile in the military and I liked it. I have not been able to find one but hopefully someday I am sure one will become available.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I am one of the lucky ones. When I was in my early 20s, I used to go shooting in the canyons north of Los Angeles, sometimes with my brother Bill and others solo - me and my beagle King. On one trip there was another guy shooting. He had the 3 guns I've lusted after: a Walther P.38, a Winchester 1897 riot gun and an M1A.

Well, over the years I managed to get all three. A fourth was my Pop's (Grandpa) .22 Winchester 67A. I now have that one, too. I've been collecting Springfield rifles, and have managed to collect pretty much one of every major model. I've got the rifles and pistols, I am VERY rural and can just step outside and shoot whenever I want to - but age has crept up on me and now I just don't have the energy to enjoy them.

My kids never got into firearms like I did, and I know that when I kick the bucket that my collection will be broken up and sold off. They will never learn to roll authentic nitrated .58 paper cartridges, the work I did to track down data for loading 1908 9mm Luger cartridges or even U.S. .30 M2 ammunition or authentic 1886 .45-70 Springfield Carbine cartridges. The good thing is that here at TFF, I can pass along some of what I have learned over the years, and maybe a younger shooter might be able to use a kernel of the information I hand out.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
There is always a certain gun I want, then I get it and its on to the next one. I just satified my latest itch, picked up a Springfield M1A Scout plus two extra 20 rd mags this week. Traded a buddy 2100 rds of 9mm and 5 bills. Didnt have a semi auto in .308 only a single shot Encore. I still want a 22 Mag Revolver and a Sig P320 M17 and several Marlin lever actions, 41 Mag, 32 Spl, 22 Mag, and a 444. The sickness is real and it seems uncurable, the only thing that helps is the next fix o_O

1 - 20 of 56 Posts