Did you guys see this yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

warpig883
    (11/25/01 7:26:56 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Did you guys see this yet?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.drudgereport.com/flash4.htm

Sounds like a good fight
    Why look'st thou so? With my cross bow I shot the Albatross.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/25/01 8:32:21 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Did you guys see this yet?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Damn WP,

Is this info usually accurate?
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

warpig883
    (11/25/01 8:37:30 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Did you guys see this yet?
    Usually the Drudge Report is the first one with breaking news. They have always been right on as far as I know.

I check it first thing when I get on the net. I got that idea from someone here. Thanks whoever it was who gave me the link.
    Why look'st thou so? With my cross bow I shot the Albatross.

southernfreedom
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/25/01 9:38:23 pm)
    These foreign Taliban sound similar to a mad dog. Seems to
    me the only
    answer is to kill them all. It is for the good of innocent people everywhere
    and must be done.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/25/01 10:12:09 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Did you guys see this yet?
    Thanks WP, think I'll put it in my favorites!

SF,

I agree with you!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/25/01 11:16:37 pm)
    Here's the latest AP I found:

By MATT KELLEY, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - American airstrikes helped subdue an uprising by Taliban prisoners of war at a fortress in northern Afghanistan (news - web sites), U.S. military spokesmen said Sunday. Hundreds of the foreign Taliban prisoners were killed, but U.S. military forces were all accounted for, Pentagon (news - web sites) officials said.

The U.S. Central Command, which oversees the war in Afghanistan, declined to say if U.S. forces were in the fortress when the fighting broke out. But a German television crew at the scene of the fight taped a U.S. special forces soldier calling in U.S. airstrikes on the fortress near the city of Mazar-e-Sharif.

The U.S. soldier, who identified himself only as David, is shown on the video from Germany's ARD network. ``I don't know how many Americans there were,'' he says on the tape. ``I think one was killed, but I'm not sure. There were two of us at least, me and some other guy.''

A Pentagon spokesman, Marine Lt. Col. David Lapan, said later that no U.S. military personnel were killed in the uprising. ``All our military forces in Afghanistan are accounted for,'' he said.

Tom Crispell, a spokesman for the Central Intelligence Agency (news - web sites), which has operatives working with anti-Taliban forces in Afghanistan, said the agency had no comment on the operation.

The Taliban fighters, who had been captured near the militia's last northern stronghold of Kunduz, carried concealed weapons and tried to fight their way out of the fortress, said Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. Dan Stoneking.

Both Central Command spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Dave Culler and Stoneking said U.S. aircraft bombed the fortress during the fighting. Witnesses said the bombs hit an area of the compound where the Taliban fighters were.

The U.S. special forces troops in Afghanistan work with anti-Taliban military commanders, including Rashid Dostum, whose forces held the prisoners. The U.S. troops also carry radios and other equipment to call for and guide U.S. airstrikes against Taliban forces.

The Taliban soldiers appeared to have planned the battle, ``which appears to be a suicide mission on their part,'' Culler said. Most of the Taliban fighters were not Afghans and were from Pakistan and Chechnya (news - web sites), Stoneking said.

Dostum brought in about 500 of his fighters to quell the uprising, Stoneking said.

Foreign fighters in Kunduz had insisted on security guarantees following reports of summary executions by the northern alliance in Mazar-e-Sharif and Kabul, the Afghan capital

---------

It's Afghan Military tradition that if you surrender BEFORE the fight you are treated leniently, if you choose to fight, you get your throat slit when captured.

They've been doing it for thousands of years, who are WE to tell them they can't do it?

Now that these guys have done this AFTER surrendering, like the cowards they are, I don't think very many Taliban will be taken alive from now on, no matter when they quit...

Which MAY not be a good thing...troops who Know there is no quarter tend to fight a helluva lot harder...

And now the Marines are in too...1000 of them just went in outside of Kandajar...betcha they are the ones that will assault it, and soon...

We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

the real fredneck
    (11/26/01 10:00:48 am)
    I didn't know the Marines were in the POW business

loader44
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/26/01 10:08:55 am)
    | Edit | Del your post
    saw your post last night. been watching cnn allmorning, so far no news on this event, just a little line on the bottom of the screen to say what was happening there. Would they really tell the American people the truth anyway? Have some of our troops been killed by the talliban? I sure hope not. But my PRAYERS go out to all the service men and women. AMEN. loader44.

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/26/01 10:52:31 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: your post
    Wonder what we would have thought about, if the
    Airborne drop on Normandy would have been reported on radio, TV and satellite transmissions?(Live time)
    Reporting today is amazing to say the least!

Charlie D
    For most of us, the hardest
    thing to give is...in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.