Die or case trimmer problems

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gibson57, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Gibson57

Gibson57 New Member

New to the forum so any help would be great. I've reloaded pistol and rifle ammo before but never had this problem. Loading 30-06 using Lee #14 de-capper and sizing die. When sized the case neck ID is .298. Is this correct because my Lyman case trimmer pilot won't even fit into the case neck. The trimmer pilot measures .304. One of these tools is wrong. So if anyone knows what the ID for the 30-06 neck opening should be [please let help me to figure this out...Thanks

2. PlanoAttorney

PlanoAttorney Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, I am sure someone with experience on Lee dies will be along soon. I am unfamiliar with Lee rifle dies.

drymag likes this.

3. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Welcome to the FORUM. My .30 caliber trimmer pilot also measures .304". My sized .308 cases measure .3045-.3055" neck I.D. for about .0015" bullet pull per side .003-.0035" total. What you're getting for the neck I.D. sounds very excessively small, .005" per side, .010" total bullet pull. IMHO, I would chuck that LEE sizing die and at a minimum get an RCBS, or upgrade to a Forster or a Redding die set if finances allow. I personally have had more (much) bad luck with LEE products than good.

joe45c, drymag and sharps4590 like this.
  4. Gibson57

Gibson57 New Member

Thank you Twicepop. I kind of thought it might be a die issue as well. I have never had a problem with Lee dies before but there is always a first time. I will take your advice and get a set of RCBS or Redding dies. Thank you again for the info. I look forward to reading more posts on the forum and maybe I will be able to help someone next time.

drymag likes this.
  5. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

Try calling Lee first and see if they will send you a new expanding/decapping rod.

You mite try lubing the inside of the case necks when sizing. I have found that when sizing cases that if the inside of the case neck has the residue from the burnt propellant, that it will cause the expanding button to drag with enough friction to pull/stretch and lengthen the case neck which in turn will cause the ID of the case neck to under size. Simply apply your case lube to a 30 caliber nylon bore brush and push it in and pull it out. Mack sure to whip of the lube that will accumulate at the outside of the case mouth.

joe45c, drymag, ms6852 and 1 other person like this.
  6. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Is there a chance the decapper got mixed up w/ another die? The removal of the decapper also has the button (or in Lee's, a tapered post that behaves like a button, that open up the mouth to the appropriate size. What does the decapper measure? Is it all cases? Wonder if you are getting bitten w/ spring back on a particular brand of case??!!??

PRR, looks like we doubled and looking at the same thing.

joe45c and crystalphoto like this.
  7. PRR1957

drymag;
    I must had been typing slow as usual while you were posting.

drymag likes this.
  8. Gibson57

Gibson57 New Member

Thank you PRR1957 and drymag. I made sure to lube the neck when sizing. I tried 5 cases all with the same result. I will remove the decapper tomorrow and measure it. Will have to look online to see if Lee has a number to call...Thanks

drymag likes this.
  9. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Before I dumped the die, I'd give Lee a call. I'm pretty sure they will get you going. If you dump the die you already paid for rather than having the problem probably fixed for free, your gonna spend a bunch of money on a new die that could possibility have the same problem. What will you do then? Dump that new die and buy a different new die? I would definitely give Lee the opportunity to make it right. I only have a couple, make that three Lee dies and never had a problem with them.

jonb32248, drymag and slayer like this.
  10. noylj

noylj Active Member

Have you disassembled the die and cleaned it and verified that there is an expander on the decapper stem?
    Like all such questions, calling the manufacturer should be the first step.

joe45c and drymag like this.
  11. mikld

mikld Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with a #14 Lee die, so I went to the Lee Precision site. I could find no reference to a number 14 die, so are you sure it's a standard 30-06 sizing die? How are you measuring the neck ID? Did you measure the expander button with micrometers?

drymag likes this.
  12. PRR1957

mikld;

I looked up Lee #14, and refers to the Lee shell holder.

Gibson57:

I forgot to add that, if you lube the inside of the case neck, you should remove the expander/decapper rod from time to time and wipe off the build up of case lube for it will accumulate some of the burnt powder residue which can be abrasive and eventually ware down the expander button.

drymag likes this.
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Lee shell holder #14 is for the 38/40 and 44/40. The shell holder for the 30/06 is #2. I juste walked out to my reloading building and looked at my Lee dies set for 30/06. On the side of the resizing/depriming die, it is marked Lee 30/06-H6. It is not great, but here is a picture of that marking:
    IMG_1384.JPG

drymag and joe45c like this.
  14. Gibson57

Gibson57 New Member

To all that have posted a response to my die issue I thank you. I finally got in touch with a tech at Lee Precision and this is what he told me. The resizing ball on my die which measured at 298 OD did not match any size that they make. Anyway they were very cool about it and are sending me a new decapping / resizing pin at no cost. He also told me that number on the outside of my die 30-06-14 meant it was made in 2014. He said the expander may have been modified or altered by someone. I don't know that may be what happened. I bought the dies off Ebay described as a new set. When I got them they looked new and unused. Anyway I went to Bass Pro Shop and bought a set of RCBS. I guess when I get the new pin from Lee I will have two sets. Thanks....

15. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It is very possibly that either someone bought that set new, it had a bad expander and then sold it to you, or that someone was working on a wildcat and polished that expander down for something, then somehow it got sold..