The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to buy some Lee 40caliber dies.I noticed they have 3 or 4 die sets.I understand that with the 3 die set the seat and crimp are done at the same time and on the Lee website it says theres a little more care to be taken with that step.So my question is should I buy the 3die set or the 4?

· Registered
763 Posts
I have a RCBS carbide 3 die set for 9mm. First die resizes and decaps the second die bells the shell for the bullet and the third seats and crimps, but you don't have to do both at once you can seat all then go back and crimp all. My choice is 3 die. I can't see spending more for a fourth. Pretty much it's what you prefer, I believe.

· Registered
357 Posts
I personally like to crimp seperatly from seating. I might just be to picky, or enjoy my time at the bench a bit too much, but I find I get better accuracy from using the crimping dies from Lee/RCBS. To each their own though.

· Registered
2,023 Posts
The advantage of a separate crimp stage (the 4th die) is the ease of set-up. The seat and crimp die can do a good job, but getting both functions dialed in with one die is a PITA. With one die seating and one die crimping it is dead simple.

· Banned
2,751 Posts
Buy the 4 die set. If you seat and crimp in one step, the fourth (crimp) die may just sit and gather dust. But it is cheap dust and I am almost positive you will end up using or at least testing the wonderful features of the Lee Factory Crimp die.

· Registered
5,213 Posts
Get the four die set. You'll get better quality ammo applying the crimp as a fourth step. For this I would recomend the Lyman dies over the Lee any day. Also go with the carbide sizer die, it will save you a lot of time, the cases don't have to be wiped down between die changes.

· Registered
91 Posts
The 3rd die is bullet seating and roll crimp, the 4th is a factory crimp die. Some like the roll crimp and some the factory crimp. Try both and see what you like and how your rounds shoot before deciding, Some bullets shoot better with a certain crimp.

Doc

· Registered
1,270 Posts
Sorry, don't mean to high jack thread, but I;m confused
\"Pacesetter dies include the Lee Precision Factory Crimp Die." Thats from Lee...looking at this for 300 Savage
So what are the 3 dies? #1 ) deprime and sizer 2) bullet seater 3) factory crimp? Will the Lee dies fit my Dillon 550?:confused:

· Registered
70 Posts
3 die set for rifle, 4 is for pistols. in between you have different products such neck sizing die which is also a decapping as well

· Registered
450 Posts
The dies will barely fit the Dillon. I use LEE dies on my XL650, but I use the Dillon Lock rings because they are thinner. I have heard of others putting the lock rings underneath, but I haven't needed to.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Get the 3 die set and a quality taper crimp die. Use the Lee dies for all steps but taper crimp in a separate operation. This will save you a lot of headaches trying to troubleshoot chambering problems. Learn to set up your dies and a post-seating-sizind die isn't necessary (Lee FCD)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.