The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference in the name brands of primers? In a few of my books, it shows different primers that are being used. Is it how they are made? Please help.:confused:

·
Registered
603 Posts
For a newer reloader it's a VERY good idea to adhere closely to published load data. There are differences that can affect pressure as they are made by different internal standards and sometimes with slightly different compositions. I believe the term is "brisance" (sp?) refers to how energetic the material is.

Once one has gained experience reloading it is certainly appropriate to experiment with different primers to obtain a specific result (usually a low SD in velocity/increase in accuracy, possibly reliability). I have settled on using only Federal and Federal Match primers in my rifle loads because I have determined to my satisfaction that I see a big difference in accuracy using them over Winchester, Remington or CCI. I have refused to use Tula or Wolf. I am less picky about the brand of primers I load in pistol as the level of accuracy I am expecting is far, far less. However; I may choose to use Federal primers in my revolver as it has had a spring/trigger job and can be prone to occasional light-strikes. Federal appears to be the "softest" primer.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have always used Federal primers in my rifles. I have used both Federal and CCI for my revolvers. I have never had a problem with Federal primers or CCI. If it's not broke don't fix it.

·
Super Moderator
41,380 Posts
At this time, you use what you can get. A Large Pistol Primer is a Large Pistol Primer no matter who makes it. Same goes for all of the other primers that are out there.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Semper Fi Jarhead ! I don't think I've had a chance to welcome you to TFF, I've been a bit busy lately.

As far as primers go, if you are using a different brand of primer, always go back to the min loads and do a proper load work-up. Make sure you are using the same type of primer, ie small pistol and not small pistol mag if the load calls for small pistol.

Different companies use slightly different compounds and different cup variances, all can affect how a load will perform.

You'll figure out which primers you prefer, I prefer Winchester for my pistol loads and rifle loads are mostly CCI. I have loaded most brands of primers due to availability, don't hesitate to buy one brand if you can't find what a certain recipe calls for. Just realize that your load is most likely going to perform differently. (may be very slight or may be very noticeable)

·
Registered
603 Posts
At this time, you use what you can get. A Large Pistol Primer is a Large Pistol Primer no matter who makes it. Same goes for all of the other primers that are out there.
You are absolutely correct based on present availability. Just work up carefully any load you use that includes a primer change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am a newbie as well and understand to stick to the loads in the manuals, all of the data in the Hornady book shows that they tested using Winchester WSP, all I can find available is CCI. Just so I am clear as to what you guys are saying, it is ok to use the CCI instead of the Winchester if I start with a listed light load?

·
Super Moderator
41,380 Posts
I am a newbie as well and understand to stick to the loads in the manuals, all of the data in the Hornady book shows that they tested using Winchester WSP, all I can find available is CCI. Just so I am clear as to what you guys are saying, it is ok to use the CCI instead of the Winchester if I start with a listed light load?
Yes, you should always start with the minimum load no matter what might change in your "recipe" (I don't particularly care for that word, but it is all I can think of).

·
Super Moderator
28,073 Posts
Yup, just start at a minimum charge and work your loads back up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts