The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,038 Posts
I am going to assume that you are talking about bottle neck brass. It can make a difference in accuracy depending on what you are loading for. For hunting rounds, I really don't think that you will be able to tell the difference though. In benchrest, probably.
Different manufactures brass can and will have differing thicknesses causing a difference in volume. Your brass may be trimmed to the same length but brass with a thicker head and body walls will leave you less room for powder and will cause a different pressure than brass with thinner heads and walls. Try weighing some from different haedstamps and see what you come up with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Yes rifle and yes hunting but I'm picky like that. I'll try weighing some and comparing.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Thanks for the info. Yes rifle and yes hunting but I'm picky like that. I'll try weighing some and comparing.
Weighing actually only tells you how much the case weighs.

If you want to accurately measure case capacity you should use H20.

Weigh a fired unsized case and record.

Fill the case with H20 and weigh it again. Subtract and that is your internal case capacity.

Yes, use use a fired case, not a sized case.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I like some brass, hate others; certain brands I never have any problems with and lasts a long time; like Lapua & SSA. I just bought a couple thou of Starline, have to see, hear that people like it. No joke, I have Lapua 30-378 brass that has been reloaded 7-8 times and it's good; close to 98 grains of RL-22 too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts