The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on some of my .224 diameter bullets for my .223 were a little different. I have some FMJs that have a "crimp" in the middle of the bullet while the vmaxs are a smooth bullet.

Does this make the reloading process any different or difference in seating and or crimping?

Not my pictures just looked for these on google:

"Crimped"
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-76472472574928_1954_16150510

"Smooth"
http://palmettostatearmory.com/medi...9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/1/1194.jpg

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
The crimp groove is called a cannlure. and it usually determines where you would seat the bullet to.

The smooth bullets do not have a cannelure, but they still can be crimped just the same.

Nothing in reloading is set in stone. I have used cannelured bullets that I did not seat to the cannelure. Goofys .50 Beowulf ammo for instance.. i load it for him. It is a autoloader cartridge developed for the AR15. The loads I developed for him use the 300 gr FTX bullets for the .500 S&W magnum. they g=have a crimp cannelure that when seated to makes the OAL for the .500 X frame revolver correct. but in the AR a shorter cartridge feeds better, so i push them past the cannelure and crimp anyway.

Reloading methods are the same for either bullet. Cannelures generally make better crimps.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Whether to crimp or not is a function of the gun the bullet is to be shot through. Bullets are actually held in the case by the neck tension of the case if all is well with the brass case, the reloading equipment, and the bullet sizing. But guns that man-handle the ammo like semi-autos or pumps or lever guns need more than neck tension and the crimp is the answer. Bullets with cannelures used in those guns get the mouth of the case crimped into that cannelure. But that requires that all the cases be trimmed to the same exact case length to get the crimp to fall into the cannelure correctly.

A better crimp choice is the LEE rifle Factory Crimp Die. It does not vertically fold the mouth of the case into the bullet but horizontally pushes the case neck area into the bullet, tightening up the neck tension. Trim length is not so critical(but must still be in the range specified in the reloading manuals) and the results are much more uniform.

As an aside the LEE handgun Factory Crimp Die works on a completely different principal and as far as the crimp goes offers nothing other than a regular crimp but done in a separate die from the seating die and with a post bullet seating sizing of the cartridge (unnecessary if the crimp is done correctly in the first place).

LDBennett

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Hell hath frozen over! ;)

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
JLA said:

"Hell hath frozen over!"

No, not yet because I have always advocated the LEE FCD for rifles but pointed out that the collet is such that it can gall, at least the earlier version the I have did, although I have yet to see the later ones I have gall but maybe I just have not used them enough yet. Typical LEE poor materials choices may get them too????

The pistol version is a waste of money.

LDBennett

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I just like ruffling your feathers LD. Its fun. :)

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
JLA:

When you are " ruffling my feathers " you'll almost always get a response, so expect it because it is fun for me to counter the "ruffling".

LDBennett

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
The pleasure is mutual then.. a win win for us both. :)

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
That die was set way too deep. you dont need that much crimp with the LFCD. since theres no Cannelure it actually takes very little to get the job done.

I do wish folks would read the directions on thier dies before misusing them and claiming thier insufficiencies.

Those pictures look like some of the older anti LEE factory crimp die adds from speer. Speer and Lee got into a big ol huff with each other because speer claimed Lee dies was destroying thier bullets and giving them a bad reputation. The only problem IMO is that the guy Speer was paying to test thier crap with Lee dies didnt know how to use them. The pulled bullets and crimps were way overdone just like those pics.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
243winxb:

The concept that LEE uses for the LEE FCD is the same as used by ammunition makers, in some cases. They don't over crimp (with FCD type tooling) and distort the bullet. Why would a reloader think that is the way to do it? The instructions are clear. All a reloader needs to do is follow them.

LDBennett

PS: Most questions answered here could be answered if the questioners would simply read and study several reloading manuals and read the instructions packaged with the tooling, like the dies and the press. When I started reloading there was no Internet as we have today and I had no mentor. I had to learn by reading and trial and error. I come here to help the new reloader avoid the error part but the information is available in the places cited above. I wish more new reloaders would just read and study the published and provided info. Then ask questions when the data is not clear to them.

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
SEVERLY overcrimped(as stated above)...I was at a friends house that started reloading about 6months ago....I've been trying to break him of misconceptions-brass has to be brand new looking,each piece has to be trimmed to the closest.00000000001,et,etc.Then I noticed the amount of force he was using to crimp....HALT...broke my kinetic puller trying to pull bullet-it looked just like 1 in pix.He just won't believe that in a bolt action rifle the round needs a light crimp(or none,as many do).

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
yep thats the one.. And the funny thing to me is even with the gross overcrimp the distorted bullet still only shot a half inch bigger group. Which is pretty much neglegent for hunting purposes inside 300 yds, as is 99% of the hunting circumstances these days..

A proper amount of crimp actually yields better groups than no crimp, and better consistency.

Speer can lick it.. Thier bullets suck anyway. They have been long surpassed by other manufacturers IMO. Even thier muzzleloader balls pale in comparison to Hornady and others. Its a wonder to me they are still in business, because its obvious they cannot even use a LFCD correctly, let alone run a large company correctly..

·
Super Moderator
44,908 Posts
Whether to crimp or not is a function of the gun the bullet is to be shot through.
LDBennett
Any round that I intend to fire through a single shot rifle gets NO crimp at all. Basically because I don't have to worry about it being moved by the recoil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts