The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend has a 742 that needs a new barrel-he had original replaced(still has) with a 16"(don't know why:))The barrel has a makeshift muzzle brake and it's in really bad internal condition-looks like someone tried to hone and forgot lube-how difficult is it to replace with original...?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Not that bad. The main problem is the headspace needs to be checked. Remove the foreend by loosing the screw at the end of it. (it does not come all the way out) Then drive the roll pin out of the gas block. Pull back and up on the guide rod bracket , this relieves the tension off the recoil sping, pull the guide rod out. Now you can loosen the barrel nut. Some are hard, some are not. Open the bolt about half way. when you remove the barrel nut, pull forward slightly on the barrel til the extension clears the receiver then turn the whole barrel 90 degrees to the receiver, this allows the barrel lug to pass though the action bars. Install is backwards but installing the recoil spring can be a pain. Just try to compress it and insert the guide rod a little at a time.

·
Premium Member
7,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx,Helix.....After trying to sight in-using factory/handloads-iron benchrest,etc...I finally got a 8" group-best of 10-5 shot...I'll try to pst pic of barrel after we're done changing.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
As was mentioned above , headspace is the bugaboo ! It's a bear to get them set up with that three piece barrel setup . I just fought with one of those , never again !
True, plus if it is excessive, there isnt much that can be done that would not out value the gun,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.