digital camera

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Apr 14, 2009.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

i had a samsung i8. great little simple camera. in fact too much stuff on it for me. got stolen.

this is what i need. I need to be able to take pictures of work that i do so i can send pictures to architects and GC's when i send in a request for payment.

I also need the ability to take pictures of a full size drawing and bring it back to my computer. my i8 was a 8 megapixel that worked great. i could view drawings and the small writting.

i dont need the ability to listen to music or all the other junk these things do. I went on e bay and like to sh!t. There must be a million of them. I dont want to spend alot because it will only get stolen from some drug head i let into my work truck.:mad:

Cheapest thing that will work, what ya think? Please give me some mdl #'s so i can do the ebay thing.

thanks

2. Will_G

Will_G Member

If you really want SIMPLE, the Kodak Easyshare C813 is going for $79.94 on Amazon. It is 8.2 megapixels. I have a Kodak Easyshare that is an older model (I think 3.0 MP) and it has been a really simple-to-use camera--what I'd call a "point and shoot".

Plus Amazon will give you free shipping. I'd say check it out, anyway.

3. cycloneman

hay how does it talk to your computer? do you plug in the card or do you have a cord to your usb port?

4. Will_G

Will_G Member

My older Kodak uses an USB cord to communicate with my PC, but if you have a card reader you could use that too. You probably would need to get a SD or SDHC card if you don't already have one.

You might look over the reviews for this particular camera posted on Amazon and see what you think.

5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Well I posted a reply and the system died, so I'll try again.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

About 3 pgdn and you get to the pocket canmera section. Read the whole thing through that section, though.

This guy is a professional who loves to teach over the net. There is a wealth of information on his pages. www.kenrockwell.com

I have and carry the Canon 750. I have and use for professional shooting a Nikon D40, a Nikon N60 a Nikon 6006 and a Nikon FG. The Canon and the D40 are the only digital I use. The rest are film.

Note that the bestestest digital I know of is 12 Mp. Bad color print film is about 32 Mp. Good color print film is about twice that. Slide film is about 6 or 7 times that. I always get my film developed and put to CD. I don't want prints until I have gone through the mess and thrown away the bad ones (shoes, belt buckles, hat brims, etc. :D)

Ken remarked a few months ago that there were two prints hanging in an art gallery. One for over $5,000 and the other for over $10,000. Both were taken with a pocket camera.

All the Mega pixels you need for general usage is 8 Mp. and, 4Mp will probably do, if the lens is good.

Check your PMs in about 15 minutes.

Pops

6. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

I have a Nikon Coolpix S210 8mp that has been an excellent little beast. It made it through 3 weeks in eastern europe with flying colors :D.

7. cycloneman

hay thanks guys.

armedandsafe i got your pm and replyed

basically that kodak easyshare seems fine. i just didnt feel like going to a store and talking to someone about cameras. I have 2 video recorders and 2 35 mm Pentax cameras. If i need to take real good pics i have nice equiptment to use. I just need a point and shoot and plug in to the computer quick in the field. And also like i said it has a good chance of getting stolen just like my other tools, so i am not spending alot on it.

the other thing i do with it is take pics of damage to give my workers so they have an idea of what to do. take pic today, have a meeting in the morning, print them a pic.

8. durk

durk Active Member

The good thing for you cyclone is, these little cameras have been getting cheaper and cheaper with more MPs. Good luck:) Here are some from consumer reports (sub-compact) These are some I'm going to check out.
    Keep in mind, these prices will probably be cheaper than what is posted on consumer reports. Or at least that is what I have found to be the case.

(1) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W300 $310 14MP

(2) Canon PowerShot SD880 IS ELPH $270 10MP

(3) Nikon Coolpix S610 $260 10MP

(6) Casio Exilim EX-Z300 $300 10MP

(10) Recomended) Canon PowerSh ot SD1100 IS ELPH $170 8MP

(11) Recomended) Casio Exilim Card EX-S10 $200 10MP

(16) Recomended) Pentax Optio M50 $120 8MP Take a good look at this one!

9. cycloneman

what i am trying to do is ebay or amazon something. this is a tool but its one of those things. for example. i purchased a HP mdl 7thousand something printer form office depot years ago and spent 150.00

it broke when one of my cats flung a paper clip into the darn thing and i could never get it out or even find it. something got torn up. so i decided to check ebay. low and behold there was a vendor with like 50 of these things. the buy it now price was like 60 bucks. i checked the history and was that some mdl's went at auction for 25,00. he had a make offer box which i did. i figured if he was sitting on 50 of these things, and he recently sold one at 25.00 no reserve i would pitch him 40.00. came w/ warranty but was a display mdl. no ink but i had boo koo ink left over. still using the printer today. i feel like i am ahead on one for a change.

i refuse to pay high dollar for electronic stuff anymore. the electronic world is that of whores. to me anyway.

10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I also have a Kodak Easyshare C813. Very easy to use. I bought mine as a kit with a printer dock which I don't use to print the pictures. I have the printer dock attached to the computer via USB cable so I transfer pictures directly to the computer with the touch of one button.