The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to re-load .223/5.556 for the 1st time and I can't order (receive) the correct shell plate from Dillon right now.

Will a Dillon 9mm or .380acp shell plate work with .223/5.56 cases? So far, I have been able to size and de-cap the once-fired cases with a Dillon 9mm shell plate but I have not removed the crimp in the cases so I'm not sure if I can push in a fresh primer with the 9mm shell plate.

My reloading manual says the diameter of the .223/5.56 base is .378" The diameter of the 9mm case is .394" The diameter of the .380 ACP case is .374"

The .223 cases appear to fit in the .380 shell plate but I have not tried this with the plate mounted in the press.

Orders at Dillon are 6-8 weeks behind.

The press is a 550b.

Thank you!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Only thing you can do is try. But, personally, I wouldn't. I'd wait until I got the right shell plate. The 9mm shell plate may serve well enough to feed the case into the die, but it may not work so great when it comes to getting the case out. Same may happen when you are trying to prime the case, it may hold, then it may not.

G

·
The 9mmP takes shell plate #5 where 223/556 takes shell plate #3. If you have the shell plate for the 380acp it is a #3 so it will work for a 223/556.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts