The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A used 38/357 set sold for $120+ yesterday. The prices for new dies start at $130 with some listed over $200. o_O o_O

I wanted a second set to setup for 357 but I think I'll just setup my RCBS dies with Lee FCD on my 550.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you are looking for Dillon 38/357 dies, Scheels has them in stock at normal price and free ship over 50. I recently purchased a Dillon press and found it difficult to find 9mm dies, was able to get 40 and 45 pretty easily. Interestingly, even though Dillon is backordered on die sets, I was able to buy the 3 dies individually from Dillon and they arrived in less than a week.

·
Super Moderator
26,335 Posts
There's no way that I would pay $120 for a set of dies.

·
Administrator
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never bought any Dillon dies because they are too high, anyway, but that is way past ridiculous.
Lee carbide die set is up to $63. Dillon is at $76. RCBS is $66.

Of course, it is hard to find any of the most popular sets right now.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I, realy do not know. if one has a Dillon press , do you have to use Dillon dies. If not then why not use dies that are less expensive.

·
Administrator
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I, realy do not know. if one has a Dillon press , do you have to use Dillon dies. If not then why not use dies that are less expensive.
No, you do not have to use Dillon dies.

Dillon dies have slightly larger mouth radius which makes using on a progressive smoother.

I Iike the ability to remove the interior of the dies for cleaning without removing the die from the press and losing your die adjustments.

Dillon dies also have a separate seating and crimping die. No need to buy a FCD die.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I replaced all the Dillon dies that came with my used Dillon 1050s with Lee or Hornady dies.
If I was still loading some of the messy lubed cast lead bullets I made in the early '70s, I would love the Dillon seat and crimp dies, but I'm not (God, but Lubrisizers and me could make a real mess!).
Love the price for custom seating stems from Lee and the alignment sleeve on Hornady seating dies and the fact that both brands size down the case much further than Dillon.

·
Administrator
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a pic of my case prep process. I remove the powder measure, seating and crimping inserts. I can then size and deprime easily. I then move to my Lyman case prep station and finish the process.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
There's no way that I would pay $120 for a set of dies.
Check out the prices on bullet molds, WOW!

Lee carbide die set is up to $63. Dillon is at $76. RCBS is $66.

Of course, it is hard to find any of the most popular sets right now.
It's like the entire population of the United States has a 9mm that they need ammo or dies for.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The kicker is I sold 3 sets of Dillon dies earlier this year for $50 and $60.
But if you sold them now for $100, $150, or $200, you would then be one of the gougers out there, but then I am sure it would weigh on your conscience. Some people can sleep at night doing that. Me, I couldn’t.

·
Administrator
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But if you sold them now for $100, $150, or $200, you would then be one of the gougers out there, but then I am sure it would weigh on your conscience. Some people can sleep at night doing that. Me, I couldn’t.
But some of the sellers are putting them out there for low starting prices and bidders are running the prices over $100. That's not gouging. That's just a happy seller.

·
Administrator
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are looking for Dillon 38/357 dies, Scheels has them in stock at normal price and free ship over 50. I recently purchased a Dillon press and found it difficult to find 9mm dies, was able to get 40 and 45 pretty easily. Interestingly, even though Dillon is backordered on die sets, I was able to buy the 3 dies individually from Dillon and they arrived in less than a week.
Thanks for the heads up. I placed an order today. Item prices are the same as Dillon's website, but I saved over $20 in shipping.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
But some of the sellers are putting them out there for low starting prices and bidders are running the prices over $100. That's not gouging. That's just a happy seller.
Yeah, I understand if it is FleeBay, I mean EBay, but were I have seen gouging is on websites like Armslist, or some of the online retailers, which some people are willing to pay those exorbitant prices.

I was looking for a RCBS 9mm die set on Amazon only because I couldn’t find anywhere else, and found a RCBS set for $107, but on the next page was the same set for $55. A friend who has Amazon Prime ordered them for me, but they were sold out. This was to load 9mm for a friend, but I found a local retailer who sells reloads for quit reasonable price, so I sent friend to buy some for himself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts