The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Christmas, while laying around bloated and wondering why I do this to myself every year...

My wife calls me into look at the computer at a Dillon XL 650 reloader.

Now, I've been drooling over a buddy's XL 650 for two years, but I was never going to spend that kind of money on one for myself...

She says, "Is this what you have been talking about for a reloader?"

I say, "Yes, but it's a pipe dream, I don't actually 'NEED' one, just like Kerry and think it's cool. Can't afford one just to sit in there 10 months of the year."

She says, "Good, because that's what I just ordered."

Not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, I say, "Damn, you'll have one before I do..."

She says, "No stupid, it's for you! I got an end of year bonus at work and I just bought that FOR YOU!"

BEST WIFE EVER!

Not only the press, but caliber changes for .223, .308/.30-06, .45 ACP and 9mm lugar!

Anyone got any tips or tricks for this press?
Now that I'll have access to it full time, I'm going to do like I do with EVERYTHING, and tinker with it!

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
yeah!!

she's a keeper (and the wife too):D

rock and roll makin' your own, this is the best press out there!!

and Dillon customer service is excellent in my experience.

woot woot!!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Left my list lay around starting in Oct. She kept throwing them away. So I'd print another and leave it lay around, and she agian would throw it away. Finally in Dec. she told me to STOP printing more copies (47 to be precise); She had gotten the message ,and that it wasn't going to happen this year.
For Christmas, she used my old Dillon boxes to put my gifts in...LOL I didn't think it was that funny.
REVENGE is a dish best served COLD.
It's that kinda stuff thats makes this a Love/Hate relationship

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
didn't get a whole press, but the wifey bought me a .223 conversion kit for my 650 for my birthday this year. but a press! that is awesome..

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Left my list lay around starting in Oct. She kept throwing them away. So I'd print another and leave it lay around, and she agian would throw it away. Finally in Dec. she told me to STOP printing more copies (47 to be precise); She had gotten the message ,and that it wasn't going to happen this year.
For Christmas, she used my old Dillon boxes to put my gifts in...LOL I didn't think it was that funny.
REVENGE is a dish best served COLD.
It's that kinda stuff thats makes this a Love/Hate relationship
Classic!!:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

·
Registered
20,791 Posts
I just got my first Dillon XL 650 and i love the thing.

I got the strong mount, bullet tray, aluminum roller handle, and spare parts kit also.
I took my time and read the booklet
I have never had an assembly book written so well. It clearly covers everything
I did find out that Lee dies aren't quite long enough to use.

The only thing i would have got during the first order was a case gage for my .223. that is a handy tool to check your die settings before you crank out a bunch. It checks chamber fit, length and head space

·
Registered
450 Posts
I too have an XL650. I took my time taking it out of the box. As I went through the instructions, I took the parts out of the box and assembled what I needed. As stated before, the instructions are very clear.

Dillon did forget to put the Failsafe Rod Assembly in my box(For the powder system). A quick email to Dillon and they had one to me in a couple days.

I will say that my LEE dies work, although I have to use the dillon lock rings(Because they are thinner)

I also would like to second getting the strongmount. I like to load standing up, so that mount brings it even higher to where I dont have to stoop to load.

I do not use the roller handle. I dont have any experience with it. Using the standard handle allows me to be off center of the press, and I can be off to the side and still operate the lever comfortably.

I have still yet to get the automatic case feeder. I want to get one one of these days, until then, my Mickey Mouse set up(LEE case feeder for a Load Mater) works well enough.

Have fun with your new machine!

·
Registered
636 Posts
2 yrs ago I got my xl 650 for Christmas and I love it. My wife still tells me " I felt so sorry for you trying to reload on that other press" ( it was a Pro 2000 It would load 4-5 rds and stop working then I would spend a couple of hrs fixing it). I have ended up with 8 different tool heads and conversions. I am currently out of all brass to reload, I have never in my life been faced with this problem.

Just go slow at first and always keep the manual close at hand. It seems complicated at first but you learn how it works and then is fun to use. The DVD is a good resource also, I guess I was lucky on that one, when ordering the salesman suggested it and I told him since I was spending so much money that he ought to just throw that in for free and he did! Jeep if you need any help I would be glad to try and help you. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine!!!

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I started trimming cases inside at night while watching the news or whatever, it may have the same effect as leaving your list out. I'm wanting the $500 case trimmer that also does the bevels at the same time, she was asking questions like, do you have to do that for every round? Wow, that takes a long time!

uhh, yeah. My hands reaaaaally hurt.... I neeeeed this awesome trimmer.... hee hee hee...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.