The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have inherited my dad’s favorite hunting rifle, a 1948 Winchester 30-30. I will be picking it up soon and would like to buy a soft case for it. Can anyone tell me how long this rifle is and what type of case would fit well?

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
A 1948 Winchester 94 30-30 deserves a hard case.(If pocket book can take the hit). The Win. I have in the shop is 38".
I think the carbine is 38" And I am only assuming that is what you are asking about.
Tuckerd1 is right. What model is it?.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m so sorry, I know next to nothing about guns. I am attempting to attach a photo of me using it for target practice, maybe that will show what I have?

11C42626-7613-4D22-A8CF-9F8009DF892D.jpeg

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
Looks like a half mag rifle to me, which means a 24 (at least) inch barrel, not a 20.

I just measured a 20-inch 92, which is 37 1/2 inches, and a 20-inch 94 which is 38 1/4 inches.

I then measured my 24 inch 92, which is 42 1/2 inches, so I'm guessing that a 24-inch 94 (don't have one of them, or I would have measured it and saved myself all this trouble) is going to be 3/4 to 1 inch longer than the 92, making it 43 1/4 to 43 1/2 inches long.

My best guesstimate.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Alpo, Winchester made a couple of Carbine 20" versions of the half mag, I've got one here in front of me. I can't enlarge the pic to see it better, but that might be a Model 64 from the profile, and that would be a 24" barrel. My measurements are on par with yours using a Carbine stock. The Mod.64 has a pistol grip sporting rifle stock that might need some extra room.
Socobroker, you want a case for a 44"+ rifle. I would recommend a hard case over a soft case for that one, not only because it was Dad's, it's also one of the more rare Winchesters, and the values only go up. WalMart has the Plano padded hard cases for $30.
When you have it in hand, please post some better pics, and I can give you more info on that rifle that Dad probably didn't know.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
What model of Winchester is it?
WalMart has the Plano padded hard cases for $30.
I have a Plano hard case and my Hawken rifle fits in it with about an inch to spare and it's, if I remember right, 52 inches long.
S4020796.JPG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gosh, all of you are fantastic. I just went through a box of folders my step-mom sent me and found out more information. This rifle is a Winchester 64. My dad received it as a high school graduation gift in 1948, Coos Bay, Oregon. I wanted to go deer hunting with my dad, so after taking a hunter safety course and visiting a target shooting range, my Dad let me use this rifle. I think I was about 13 y/o at the time. What an honor then and an honor now to have him leave me his favorite gun.

I guess the next step is to register this rifle in my name for legal ownership?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alpo, Winchester made a couple of Carbine 20" versions of the half mag, I've got one here in front of me. I can't enlarge the pic to see it better, but that might be a Model 64 from the profile, and that would be a 24" barrel. My measurements are on par with yours using a Carbine stock. The Mod.64 has a pistol grip sporting rifle stock that might need some extra room.
Socobroker, you want a case for a 44"+ rifle. I would recommend a hard case over a soft case for that one, not only because it was Dad's, it's also one of the more rare Winchesters, and the values only go up. WalMart has the Plano padded hard cases for $30.
When you have it in hand, please post some better pics, and I can give you more info on that rifle that Dad probably didn't know.
Trap55 I will look into getting a hard case. Thank you (and others) for making that suggestion. I don’t know what this gun is worth but that doesn’t matter. To me it is priceless.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
You don't have to register a firearm in Oregon. Just make sure you write down the model and serial number on a piece of paper and keep it seperate from the rifle. In case, heaven forbid, it ever gets stolen, you will have the serial number and model information to give to the police.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Soco, I don't know what OR's laws are on that, I know that have been trying to out do Calif lately. It use to be Father to Daughter "gifted" didn't require anything. Maybe the OR guys can jump in on that.
I know someone that would be interested to catalog that rifle in his Winchester survey. He can give you the exact date it was made, received in the warehouse, and shipped. They were made from 1933 to 1957, total production was only 66,783. Sounds like a lot, but it's a drop in the ocean to the 2,267,000 Model 1894's made by 1957!
Now, the big question, did you get a buck the first time out with it?

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Trap, In Oregon firearms that are transfered from one family member to another family member do not have to be transfered through an FFL or do a form 4473.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You don't have to register a firearm in Oregon. Just make sure you write down the model and serial number on a piece of paper and keep it seperate from the rifle. In case, heaven forbid, it ever gets stolen, you will have the serial number and model information to give to the police.
Trap, In Oregon firearms that are transfered from one family member to another family member do not have to be transfered through an FFL or do a form 4473.
Oh boy, the gun is in Oregon and I’m bringing it to California. Does that open a can of worms?

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Oh boy, the gun is in Oregon and I’m bringing it to California. Does that open a can of worms?
I have no idea on that, you'll have to ask that of someone like Trap who is in California.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
You took possession in OR, you are now the legal owner. Bringing it with you into Calif, I'm not "entirely" sure on. It's classified as a "Curio and Relic" (C&R), and doesn't fall under any of the handgun or assault weapons laws. I would say you're good to go, but I'm probably not the best guy to ask, as I ignore most of the communist regime laws anyhow. One of the other Calif guys might chime in, meantime I'll ask some I know that pay attention to that stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You took possession in OR, you are now the legal owner. Bringing it with you into Calif, I'm not "entirely" sure on. It's classified as a "Curio and Relic" (C&R), and doesn't fall under any of the handgun or assault weapons laws. I would say you're good to go, but I'm probably not the best guy to ask, as I ignore most of the communist regime laws anyhow. One of the other Calif guys might chime in, meantime I'll ask some I know that pay attention to that stuff.
Thank you, Trap

·
Registered
169 Posts
What are you using for targets? Car windshields?
Pardon me but you say you'll be picking the rifle up soon. Then you post a picture of you holding the rifle. Grab a tape measure, measure the length of the rifle and go to a sporting goods store and buy the right sized case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Soco, I don't know what OR's laws are on that, I know that have been trying to out do Calif lately. It use to be Father to Daughter "gifted" didn't require anything. Maybe the OR guys can jump in on that.
I know someone that would be interested to catalog that rifle in his Winchester survey. He can give you the exact date it was made, received in the warehouse, and shipped. They were made from 1933 to 1957, total production was only 66,783. Sounds like a lot, but it's a drop in the ocean to the 2,267,000 Model 1894's made by 1957!
Now, the big question, did you get a buck the first time out with it?
LOL, no I didn’t get anything the first time out. The leaves were particularly dry from lack of rain and I made too much noise! I have the serial number for this rifle, is there a way I can get that to you without telling the whole world? Maybe share your friend’s email address with me?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts