dirt unique hard on blueing?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 38 special, Apr 12, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

I reload quite a bit with unique cause I get accurate loads with it. I have heard and I know its true that unique is dirty. after shooting I always wipe down my revolvers with oily cloth and it turns black. Will this hurt the bluing or not?

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

What kind of bullets? With store-bought "hard cast" lead bullets, they come with the red or blue "hard lube". This stuff is greasy as all get out. It leaves a greasy film on the gun. I use Unique in just about everything, but it's the greasy residue from the hard lube that turns my cleaning rags black.

3. 38 special

38 special New Member

I use a lot of hornady hpxtp jacketed bullets and some lead bullets my dad made. It doesnt matter what bullet I use though, after shooting unique, around the front of the cylinder, where there is some gas escape from between cylinder and forcing cone ,the powder residue makes rag black.Maybe it won't hurt a thing (as far as the blue finish goes). I was just wondering if it would harm the colt royal blue finish? Maybe I'm concerned over nothing -heck maybe its good for the finish. I dont really know.I havent noticed any problem yet but just curious.

4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

No, the soot buildup isn't damaging your bluing.

That black gunk is either soot and possibly even some graphite residue. Graphite is added to powder to make it more free-flowing when it travels through a powder measure, and is the main reason that smokeless powders look the color of pencil lead.

WW231 is another powder that shoots really "dirty" for me...my stainless pistols always come back "tu-tone" after a shooting session. Just a reminder that it's time to clean em up. :D

5. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

howdy , I use Unique with me .38 special loads and while it has more black residue than a powder like 700 x , but have not had any problems with clean up. This includes a royal blue Det Special , wolfgang