The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,799 Posts
I wanted too but my wife said as long as they felt good and didn't hurt her hand she was happy with them.
Inside them you'll find some high spots that keep the grips from closing completely; those spots can be sanded or filed to make the fit perfect. But I agree; that's very disappointing performance from such a well regarded company.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've got a very similar set on my M63 that fits just almost as poorly as yours. I was somewhat disappointed, but those grips feel pretty good in my hand, and I don't notice or feel the poor fit while shooting, so I just left them on.
I wanted too but my wife said as long as they felt good and didn't hurt her hand she was happy with them.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Inside them you'll find some high spots that keep the grips from closing completely; those spots can be sanded or filed to make the fit perfect. But I agree; that's very disappointing performance from such a well regarded company.
Something that fit like that would drive me nuts. I'd send them back, but I'd be willing to bet that the replacements would be as bad as those or worse. You could probably made them fit better by working on them, but one doesn't buy new grips and then have to make them fit correctly.

·
Premium Member
19,193 Posts
I have the Hogue grips on my Super Blackhawk 44 mag. They fit good. Ruger 44 new grips.jpg
I think they ruin the looks of a SA handgun but I can shoot all day full load 44 mags with these grips on it.

·
Administrator
24,976 Posts
Send them back or do the fix yourself.
The company will never know unless you contact them.
You are not happy so give them a call, they may surprise
you. Either way they will make it simple for you.
Keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
12,982 Posts
Was looking over photos and schematics of the original Smith J frames - Model 36 etc., and compared them to photos of the new series. There is a slight difference: no separate frame lug, beefier frame profile behind the hammer to allow installation of a safety lock etc. Chances are in designing the new frame as well as tooling to manufacture it they didn't preserve the grip profile of the original J frame series - close but not quite.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I have a set of Pac's that I have the same issue, cant remember for what gun, I have pretty much went back to wood grips on most of my revolvers, so all my rubber grips are in storage. My wife's 642 is the exception, I put a set of Hogue Tamer grips on it and she loves them. She can put a lot of rounds downrange without her hand hurting.
20200918_203034.jpg
And yes they come in four different colors, unless you are digging the purple :p
20200918_202908.jpg

·
Garandaholic
9,379 Posts
I have the Hogue grips on my Super Blackhawk 44 mag. They fit good. View attachment 234286
I think they ruin the looks of a SA handgun but I can shoot all day full load 44 mags with these grips on it.
Agree completely. I have them on my SW 629 Classic. Ugly as sin. Comfortable as all get out.

·
Super Moderator
38,451 Posts
I have had a couple of guns with Pachmayr grips but I am pretty sure I have taken them off and put the wooden grips back on them. One was a Thompson Contender and when I got rid of all the high powered barrels, I didn't need the cushion anymore. A while back I bought a Thompson (Auto Ordnance) 1911 that had a set of wrap-around Pachmayr's on it. As soon as I got home, a set of wooden grips went on it.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did contact Pachmayr from the website but haven't heard back from them. She's not keen on sending them back. I can probably work out the fit but she says the gap doesn't bother her. It drives me crazy just knowing it's there. If they don't work out I'll get some wood grips that change the profile from a round butt to a square butt.

A while back I bought a Thompson (Auto Ordnance) 1911 that had a set of wrap-around Pachmayr's on it. As soon as I got home, a set of wooden grips went on it.
I have a Rock Island. I took those ugly factory grips off and put a nice set of cocobolo grips on it but then I got a set of Pachmayr wrap around grips but they made it feel too bulky so I cut the front strap off. They feel pretty good now.

·
9,034 Posts
I did contact Pachmayr from the website but haven't heard back from them. She's not keen on sending them back. I can probably work out the fit but she says the gap doesn't bother her. It drives me crazy just knowing it's there. If they don't work out I'll get some wood grips that change the profile from a round butt to a square butt.

I have a Rock Island. I took those ugly factory grips off and put a nice set of cocobolo grips on it but then I got a set of Pachmayr wrap around grips but they made it feel too bulky so I cut the front strap off. They feel pretty good now.

What? You got tiny little girly hands??? LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts