The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
TFFWPP President
13,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Impreza 2.0 DOHC. I pulled the engine and did head gaskets. I paid very close attention to the procedure on Mitchell and did it step by step accordingly. As my usual practice I spun it over 4 times by hand while on the engine stand. Got it stuffed back in and had the fuel pump disabled while cranking it over to circulate oil.

That's when I noticed it didn't sound right. Almost like half the engine was out of time. I went back to Mitchell and read it all again and thought it's just not right. Next I went to YouTube and saw a video on the job. I missed the part where you turn the crank so the keyway is at the 6:00 position before installing right side chain.

I'll look again today but it is possible I missed a step while stopping to help other techs in shop. The process is in two sections, one for left and another for right.

The book time for doing cam chains is 5.5 hours. I had them done and back in correct time in under 3. I did that after work without distractions last night. We will see in a couple hours how the engine runs.

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
He does it right, cuz he does it twice :D:p.
This doesn't apply to Todd but what you said reminds me what an old mechanic use to tell me... "some can never find the time to do it right the first time but can always find the time to do it right the second".

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
He said he spun it over by hand while on the engine stand.I guess he didn't feel anything then. But if the valve timing were out far enough when he spun it over with the starter, I don't know. It doesn't sound good. Hopefully he'll chime in later that all is OK.

·
TFFWPP President
13,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He said he spun it over by hand while on the engine stand.I guess he didn't feel anything then. But if the valve timing were out far enough when he spun it over with the starter, I don't know. It doesn't sound good. Hopefully he'll chime in later that all is OK.
Yes, it turned by hand very smooth and easy with the spark plugs out.

This morning first thing I hit the key and it fired to life. All smooth and nice so I let it warm up. After 15 minutes it was idling rough and had a nasty clatter from left head area. I let it cool off a couple hours to get caught up on other cars since Eric is gone the rest of the week. After lunch I pulled the left valve cover to find the valve clearance quite loose. Subconscious panic set in but I kept my cool investigating the cause and how to fix it.

During that time the customer called. Boss told him it's back together and running but it has a noise in left side. Customer said it had that noise ever since the last guy did the head gaskets a month ago.

That would have been nice to know WHILE I HAD THE ENGINE ON THE STAND!!!!

Now the customer is looking at an even bigger repair bill for me to pull the engine and fix the problem. If it needs the updated cams, valves, tappets and rockers he is looking at a LOT of money. Around $1400 in labor alone

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yes, it turned by hand very smooth and easy with the spark plugs out.

This morning first thing I hit the key and it fired to life. All smooth and nice so I let it warm up. After 15 minutes it was idling rough and had a nasty clatter from left head area. I let it cool off a couple hours to get caught up on other cars since Eric is gone the rest of the week. After lunch I pulled the left valve cover to find the valve clearance quite loose. Subconscious panic set in but I kept my cool investigating the cause and how to fix it.

During that time the customer called. Boss told him it's back together and running but it has a noise in left side. Customer said it had that noise ever since the last guy did the head gaskets a month ago.

That would have been nice to know WHILE I HAD THE ENGINE ON THE STAND!!!!

Now the customer is looking at an even bigger repair bill for me to pull the engine and fix the problem. If it needs the updated cams, valves, tappets and rockers he is looking at a LOT of money. Around $1400 in labor alone

I have to ask. So you didn't run it or evaluate it before you took it apart the first time? Who made the call that it needed head gaskets? I don't see how anyone could run an engine and diagnose it bad head gaskets and not know there is motor noise. Which is one reason why I NEVER go off someone else's diagnosis. And even when there is clear and instantaneous evidence of a bad head gasket such as water pouring out of a spark plug hole or blowing water out of the radiator like Old Faithful, I would still want to run an engine long enough to determine that there isn't other damage that would sour the job. I never want to have to call a customer and say, "Yeah, your head gaskets are done but its got a rod knock", or "but it has no compression on one cylinder from a ring problem." I check for that kind of thing before I sell a job or turn even one bolt to take it apart. I was with you on your dilemma right up to the point when you started blaming the customer...

Tom

·
TFFWPP President
13,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to ask. So you didn't run it or evaluate it before you took it apart the first time? Who made the call that it needed head gaskets? I don't see how anyone could run an engine and diagnose it bad head gaskets and not know there is motor noise. Which is one reason why I NEVER go off someone else's diagnosis. And even when there is clear and instantaneous evidence of a bad head gasket such as water pouring out of a spark plug hole or blowing water out of the radiator like Old Faithful, I would still want to run an engine long enough to determine that there isn't other damage that would sour the job. I never want to have to call a customer and say, "Yeah, your head gaskets are done but its got a rod knock", or "but it has no compression on one cylinder from a ring problem." I check for that kind of thing before I sell a job or turn even one bolt to take it apart. I was with you on your dilemma right up to the point when you started blaming the customer...

Tom
Car came in after hours. I drove it in shop then verified coolant and oil leaking from headgaskets. Previous "mechanic" used silicone on head gaskets. Customer said he wanted the headgaskets replaced and stop all leaks

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Car came in after hours. I drove it in shop then verified coolant and oil leaking from headgaskets. Previous "mechanic" used silicone on head gaskets. Customer said he wanted the headgaskets replaced and stop all leaks
Silicon instead of JB weld? What an idiot! Actually, hope you find a way out of this mess.

·
TFFWPP President
13,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Silicon instead of JB weld? What an idiot! Actually, hope you find a way out of this mess.
Monday afternoon I'll yank it out and get it torn down. Customer approved the extra work. This is going to be a huge bill when done. Labor for this second venture is a tick above $1700

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Silicone on the head gaskets? I've heard of a lot of strange things being done in the name of automotive repair - but not this one. It didn't last? Go figure...

·
Registered
461 Posts
I can do basic stuff most of the time but seems past 10-15 years those designers became very evil people like moving the engine 3/4 under the wind shield on a lot of trucks . Had a Dodge Intrepid great little car but the battery was shoved 2 feet in front of right tire in the nose . I remember 1st truck I had you could sit on the side of the fender with my feet inside working on it , was a 6 cylinder . I hate doing stuff now days . Miss the good ol days !! Fire , air , fuel .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts