The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several pounds of black powder but I am thinking about making some black powder myself just for fun . Were do you think is the best place to buy the charcoal and sulfur at ? I looked at Hobby Lobby for charcoal but not sure if what they sell would work . I would rather buy from a local store but can order online if have to . And if anyone has some do's or don'ts speak up please . Or if you had a bad or good results .

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Over 45 years ago I made some. It ignited...which is about all that can be said for it. There was a WHOLE lot I didn't know then. Haven't tried it since but know a heck of a lot more about it.

From what I recall the purity of the [potassium nitrate is the critical part. Sulfur is pretty much sulfur and not even necessary for BP to work. You can make your own charcoal from willow or alder, which are supposed to be the best.

There's a thread on it somewhere, lemme find it.

Here is the write-up "My homemade black powder" (gunloads.com)

I have another thread bookmarked on my desk top computer and I'll try to remember to post it next time I'm on it.

Eh...it's the same thread.

Reactions: ms6852

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Sir . I will check it out . I have a few things I keep saying going to try to do and always was interested in those videos of making the black powder is one of them . With the weather getting so hit and miss for shooting lately figured would give it a shot .

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Never heard of making it on a stove like that. I've followed a lot of conversations about making it on various black powder forums and they all milled it in a ball mill and most of them eventually went to corning it because they said it worked better. Corning is compressing it into a puck and then crushing and screening it..

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
I hadn't watched that video or read the posts in quite a while. Maybe I do have another, different thread because what you said, hawg, is more what I remember. It was small batches and they milled it in a Lortone type tumbler with 36 cal.- to 50 cal muzzleloader balls. and I want to remember they tumbled it for hours upon hours, checking the moisture content frequently....which makes sense as the ingredients are better combined. Seems the guy did a "burn test" on a board and his home made BP was slightly faster than whatever brand he tested....which unfortunately I don't recall.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just thought would give a update . Yes was able to make my own black powder and yes I still have my eye brows . Was pretty fun . Biggest problem was I ordered the sulfur off ebay and it took for ever to get here . Kept reading the sulfur at Lowes or Home Depot was lesser quality .I did a few lighting tests and then used it in my 1861 Springfield . Heard quite a few say DIY black powder is cleaner , not sure about that . Seemed about same when cleaning my rifle . Did have 1 mishap , I didn't have a ball mill or a rock cleaner so I put a bolt threw the lid of a quart mason jar and chucked it in my cordless drill . Then with a radiator clamp adjusted trigger down to were it was turning . On my 2nd batch it was smaller then the 1st the jar broke . Maybe should of took out some lead balls or used smaller jar ?? Thinking now may try making my own soap !!!!

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Just thought would give a update . Yes was able to make my own black powder and yes I still have my eye brows . Was pretty fun . Biggest problem was I ordered the sulfur off ebay and it took for ever to get here . Kept reading the sulfur at Lowes or Home Depot was lesser quality .I did a few lighting tests and then used it in my 1861 Springfield . Heard quite a few say DIY black powder is cleaner , not sure about that . Seemed about same when cleaning my rifle . Did have 1 mishap , I didn't have a ball mill or a rock cleaner so I put a bolt threw the lid of a quart mason jar and chucked it in my cordless drill . Then with a radiator clamp adjusted trigger down to were it was turning . On my 2nd batch it was smaller then the 1st the jar broke . Maybe should of took out some lead balls or used smaller jar ?? Thinking now may try making my own soap !!!!
You shoot soap? Guess it does make for a cleaner gun...

·
Premium Member
9,899 Posts
that’s just too cool. So briefly, what was your process and what tools did you use? I watched a video of a guy making BP and he ran it through finer and finer screens to get the various fineness.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The process is simple after watching countless videos . When you 1st get it all mixed really good in the tumbler (which is key) it comes out like baby powder . You mix a little water or alcohol with it to make a clay like mixture . Some added Dextron or something that is suppose to make it mix better . I didn't cause not everyone did and mine was ok . Then with 1st batch I used a piece of window screen and rubbed and pushed it thru . The granular was mixed in size so with the 2nd batch I used my wife's cheese grater and got the granulars to be more of same size . And no she does not know I used the cheese grater . If I was going to be making lots more I would buy a rock tumbler from Harbor Freight .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts