The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I resently decided to build my own personal AR and ive seen youtube videos on how to assemble and customize it. I want to start of by just having a build by myself but i dont really know if the parts I am buying fit together (work together) this is a budget build but i will take recommendations on better parts for it.

·
Super Moderator
28,080 Posts
They should. The only thing that I notice is that the gas block will be exposed. But that won't affect performance.

Reactions: dbcooper

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Looks like they should but you can probably do a lot better on prices if you go somewhere besides cheaper than dirtbags to get them.
Yeah just want to het the list right and then look for deals. Thank you

They should. The only thing that I notice is that the gas block will be exposed. But that won't affect performance.
What you recomend a longer hand guard

·
Registered
951 Posts
I would take a Magpul Pmag over an aluminium magazine, Pmags are near indestructible whereas aluminium can bend and cause malfunctions.

·
Super Moderator
28,080 Posts
You're speccing a mid length gas tube and a carbine gas barrel...AVOID carbine length gas barrels esp the stupid "M4" type....use a mid length gas system barrel.
I should pay more attention, I completely missed the diffent barrel/gas tube length.

·
No Power Options
13,576 Posts
While it is true that "Mil-Spec" should be Mil-Spec that's not always the case as so many makers are ginning out these. The main concern after that would be color, as all finishes are not the same and makes for an uGly build.
I would try my best to get all parts from one source even if it cost a little more.

·
Super Moderator
28,080 Posts
While it is true that "Mil-Spec" should be Mil-Spec that's not always the case as so many makers are ginning out these. The main concern after that would be color, as all finishes are not the same and makes for an uGly build.
I would try my best to get all parts from one source even if it cost a little more.
Sorry, but things like the stock and buffer tube being of each will cause you a headache wondering why the stock won't fit.

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
Cheaper Than Dirt?! How dare you?! After what they did after Sandy Hook I wouldn't urinate on them to put out a fire

Palmetto State Armory and outdoorsportsusa.com have some nice looking kits minus lower receiver. And PSA has those for $40

Both of mine were pieced together with parts sourced over a longer time frame. And from many different vendors also. The only issues I had was cycling but since they are not your average "belly button" AR that's to be expected (6.8 & 50 Boewulf)

I never understood why M4's have the weird diameter step in barrel.

I don't care for short fat handguards. Mine both have 12" tubes from ALG Defense. One is smooth while the other has M Lok slots. Just use a low profile gas block and it'll fit nice inside the tube. Even my Boewulf with the .936 diameter barrel, the gas block fits

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have a kit I put together from outdoors ports, another from ceratac, I haven't used the barrels as I wanted something else, and some parts I used on other guns but these days even if I just need to build a lower, I'll get a complete kit and ha e some extra parts on hand

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,084 Posts
Beware of PSA lowers - they require PSA parts kits. The difference is small, but it can be unpleasant to start assembling the lower, only to find that you can't finish the job with a stock kit. Other than that, the quality is excellent, and the prices usually can't be beat. They do a fine job, despite being in bankruptcy.

Cheaper than Dirt has stuff that no one else can get, and I've done business with them with great results, many years ago. My only complaint is that, back when the Kenyan imposter was elected and ammo couldn't be had, they were the first to jack up prices and screw customers. They still offer some great deals, but I will not soon do business with them again for their crimes against decency.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Oh don't forget to check out primary arms, bought quite a bit of stuff from them, sign up on the mailing list and keep an eye on sales, they do have some incredible deals from time to time

·
Registered
886 Posts
Did you complete your build?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yeah, I looked at his profile after I posted and figured we may not hear back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts