The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about changing the sights on my Glock 42. I need to adjust them anyways, I am consistently shooting to the left.

When I look around I see this one at Midway:

from here

And then I need the 42/43 adapter:

from here

Then I see assorted sight tools on ebay:

example from here

or

example from here

So, the core of my question is, for the very limited use that I expect to put it through, do I need the good unit, or will the cheap junk do just fine?

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
TruGlo-Front-Sight-Tool_main-1.jpg

I own 7 Glocks and have replaced the factory sites on most of them. I don't own those rear site tools. I have always used a brass punch with no problem. Taking out the factory rear sites on a Glock is a breeze with a simple punch

Having said that, you do need a front site tool.

Those are only a few dollars and worth every penny. I took a thin walled 1/4 inch drive socket and ground it down and made it work, but I ended up buying the special tool and I'm so glad I did.
That front retaining nut is so tiny and close to the front of the inside of the slide, its tricky without the tool

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
You do have the option of a gunsmith doing the work for you... Might come out ahead of you're only doing it once.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Here we come to one advantage to dealing with a LGS. A while back I was shooting the breeze at a LGS when a young fella comes in and wanted to replace the "sucky" sights on his Glock. After a few minutes he decided what sights he wanted and paid the man. He asked how hard they are to change out? The answer "not really, have your gun here?" A few minuets later he was leaving with his new sights installed, no charge.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a pretty ling drive to a gunsmith in the town I work in. The town got Wal-marted, several small stores closed.

As far as the place I got it, they are in the city I live in; however, I won't be going home until December. Then there is one other factor, I'm an inveterate tinkerer. I suspect that by the end of winter I will have more into this Glock than I paid for it in the first place.

To answer the obvious question of "why didn't you buy what you wanted to begin with?"

There really isn't anything on the market, or projected to come on the market, that is what I want. . . and that is how tinkering becomes its own hobby.

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
Here we come to one advantage to dealing with a LGS. A while back I was shooting the breeze at a LGS when a young fella comes in and wanted to replace the "sucky" sights on his Glock. After a few minutes he decided what sights he wanted and paid the man. He asked how hard they are to change out? The answer "not really, have your gun here?" A few minuets later he was leaving with his new sights installed, no charge.
That is fairly common as far as I've seen.
The LGS will install accessories for no extra charge in most cases

1 - 7 of 7 Posts