Do you +1 your auto?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rglbegl, May 16, 2018.

Do you +1

Poll closed May 18, 2018.
  1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    75.9%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

1911???

Guts3d, carver and drymag like this.
  2. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I've seen one go full auto also. But it was tinkered with, and that caused the problem, not the gun it's self. All my semi-auto guns have a recoil spring, and because of that the slide has the same force when closing, either on a live round, a dummy round, or an empty chamber. Does it slow down any when stripping a round form the mag? I doubt it!

Guts3d, drymag, howlnmad and 2 others like this.

3. Robert Cowles

Robert Cowles Member

I have seen the "slam fire' problem with military 1911's (lots of use)...usually caused by weak/broken firing pin spring...allows pin to slam into primer.

Guts3d, drymag, carver and 1 other person like this.
  4. carver

They fixed that problem with the 80 series. I carry one that is about 30 years old, and have never had a slam fire. I know that it could happen, so I adhere to Rule #2 of safe gun handling.

Guts3d, BlackEagle, drymag and 2 others like this.
  5. Robert Cowles

Robert Cowles Member

Sorry if this is a duplicate...got knocked off mid post. I can see where inadvertent full auto would get you a lot of attention at the range...I have seen the "slam fire" problem and full auto issue in military 45's (lots of use). Usually caused by worn/weak firing pin spring allowing pin to slam into primer when slide is released. If it went full auto look for wear on disconnector. Both are easy fixes on the gun...restoring the operator's confidence in the weapon takes a little longer.

Guts3d, drymag, carver and 1 other person like this.
  6. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member Supporting Member

The pistol was not old and not modified, I take care of my stuff. It probably had 500 rounds through it(with no issues prior) at the time in malfunctioned and as everyone here it was pointed down range. But when it happens the full experience is something one should never experience. It`s unexpected and places you in full red zone to control it. Scary does not even explain what your mind is going through at that very moment, when it should not go off.........but 10 rounds later you are sucking wind and and the heart rate is over the top.
    Pistol was 1911 factory custom Colt Commander Steel frame.
    I am also a firm believer to never drop the slide on a hand loaded single round without the magazine inserted. While many disagree-it`s my way.

7. carver

A heavy recoiling pistol like the .45 would be double scary! The one I saw was a .25. I drop one live round in the chamber, no mag, and drop the slide. If my gun were to go off doing this, it can only fire the round in the chamber.

Guts3d, drymag and howlnmad like this.
  8. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Of course, I have a round in the chamber. I do load all my magazines to one round shy of max.

Guts3d, carver, drymag and 1 other person like this.
  9. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

As my carry pistol is a .380 Walther PPK (with a tiny 6 shot mag) I always load one in the chamber, decock the hammer and load a full mag for 7 shot total.

I know '.380 ACP is marginal' (and I have lots of full power pistols I COULD carry instead) - the Walther is just the gun I carry because for me it carries better than the others. If I could carry them as easily as the Walther I'd pick my 1911 or my .45 Colt Calvary Model over the PPK.

Guts3d, carver, drymag and 2 others like this.
  10. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My LC9s is advertised as 7+1. That’s the way I use it and it has never been a problem.
    I usually load a few, chamber one, then finish loading the mag to get to the 7+1.
    I’ve done the load one, chamber one and load 7 and I’ve loaded 7 chambered one and topped off the magazine. They all work, if they don’t there is something wrong with the gun.

Guts3d, carver, jsjj388 and 5 others like this.
  11. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Well-Known Member

Life is dicey always, so always 8+1 in my P220.

12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Yes I do. Full mag +1.

Guts3d, carver, Stahlrosen and 4 others like this.
  13. rglbegl

rglbegl Well-Known Member

Program compliance
    Keeping your gear on you is the most important part.

I highly doubt a bad guy is going to ask what caliber you are shooting them with.

14. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

While it does "seem" to make sense to only place one round in the mag, insert the mag, then rack the slide to load the tube. Then remove the empty mag and fully load the mag and re-insert the mag for the Full + 1.
    The question becomes, is it really safer or just seems safer? If you use this gun, shoot frequently, and it has never presented a problem w/ racking the slide to load one up, why would I then not trust the gun to load full + 1?

Guts3d, carver, jsjj388 and 2 others like this.
  15. rglbegl

rglbegl Well-Known Member

Racking the slide manually and the force of a bullet pushing the slide back are different.

Some people have questioned if the bullet has enough power to overcome the slight extra friction of a full mag vs a -1 mag.

I have seen it at the range with a few guns that will not properly feed the 2nd round if the magazine is 100% full.

Guts3d, carver, ral357 and 1 other person like this.