1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
multi part question.

If you hunt:

Do you hunt with a C&R weapon?

Is this C&R in it's native chambering, or has it been rechambered ? ( ie.. 7.7jap to 30-06 etc..)

If not a C&R weapon. is it a modern weapon (re)chambered in a cartridge that is traditionally C&R or antique / ex military.. etc

Do you use a scope when you hunt with your C&R; did it come with a scope; is the scope new or in some way 'correct' ?? ( example, hunting with a mosin sniper vs hunting with a sks that has had a modern scope added tothe rear rcvr cover ).

If no scope, are you using original open or iron sights or original peep/aperature sights.. or have you modified some sort of iron sight / addition.. etc.?

what action do you prefer to hunt with? single/double/ breech and bolt style.. ( ie.. bolt action. lever action, single shot, dbl bbl, break open breaches .. etc.

·
Registered
17,300 Posts
I have, in the past, used an 03A3. In its original 30/06 chambering. No scope, just factory peep.

Have also used a Chilean 1895 Mauser, 7x57. Did mount a peep sight on that one - original irons sucked soooo bad.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Have both Mosin's and an SKS that can be used for deer, original sights and conditions on both. Depends on where we're going, in the southern end of the state you rarely get even a 100 yard shot, northwestern end the SKS is a bit more accurate and you get longer shots. SKS is lighter though so it's preferred, I'll "loan" a Mosin to someone that wants to tag along though, lol.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Last year I hunted with my Marlin 30/30. This year I will use my Lee Enfield .303, original iron sights :)

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
I occasionally hunt with a Winchester Model 94 .30-30 with open sights. My father uses it more than I do. In recent years its been his favorite rifle.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow.. never thought about taking my svt hunting. heavy gun :)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
On tv last night, an Alaskan woman took a caribou with a Mosin Nagant 91/30.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I have restocked my Swiss K31 in a laminated hunting stock, and installed a clamp-on scope mount. It proved very accurate at the distances I expect to shoot. I use a box stand on our hunting lease, and the distance goes out to 300+ yards. This rifle really likes the 180 gr. Midway Bonded Spitzer Polymer Tip bullets. I carried last year a few times, but did not luck into a deer or hog. My one deer fell to my Win70 in .270WSM. But I will try the K31 again this coming season.
I am also 'sporterizing' a Spanish M1916 Mauser in .308Win. Yes, I know it's considered 'not safe' with full power .308 loads - I handload to a safe level. I have it in a walnut hunting stock and a new bolt with low-scope bent bolt handle - just need to get it D&T'd for the Weaver bases now.
The K31 can be put back into it's issue stock and made original in minutes. So can the M1916 now, though the D&Ting will be a permanent change. No need for the hue & cry from the purists......

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
SKS works really well for white tailed deer, and I also sometimes use the old 30-30 that I got from my father-in-law. Neither gun had a scope on it untill last year, I scoped the 30-30. I also have a Belgum Browing A5 12 gauge that I got from him, I use it as a bird gun.

·
Super Moderator
28,132 Posts
I've hunted with several. An 03A3, an Enfield 303 and a SKS.

·
Registered
438 Posts
In the past I have hunted with a303, both sporterized and full military. I have killed a lot of deer with sporterized Sweedes in 6.5 x 55, one a fully done up m38 with scope and such, the other with a m94 with Williams FP peep.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I bagged a pine tree with a M93 Mauser Cabine in 7x57. I was 16 years old, first solo deer hunt. Sighted in on a running mule deer at 50 yards. The pine tree jumped up and took the bullet for the deer. Didn't bother dressing it out - figured it would be too chewy.

·
Premium Member
13,258 Posts
My deer rifle's a Lee-Enfield No.5 in .303 British, the so-called jungle carbine. The rifle's in as-issue configuration with no modifications. I even use the original sling. Previous owners, aside from the importer, were the Malay Federation Police - as denoted by FMP stamped on the receiver's stock bucket. The one modification I've been considering is to install a reproduction recoil pad - I think Numrich & Springfield Sporters have them. The original pad, while completly intact and holding its original shape, has attained a concrete-like quality over the decades

·
Registered
438 Posts
I use an old Polish Mosin M44 for wild boar.

I just feel better having a tough beater

with a bayonet to stand off these aggressive

bogies, in the event they get too close, or

charge.

Standard lead tipped 7.62x54R works well.

I'm looking forward to taking out the 03A3 for

an outing.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i imagine 762x54r is a boar buster for sure! If hunting the big boys that's plenty of power. as for the bayo.. knives and or pointy things never is a bad idea when in the woods. :) ever see people hunt pigs with spears? must be interesting work in the deep thicket..

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Heck, C & R's are about all I hunt with....but none listed. 20 years ago my first was an E. Goldmann double rifle in 43 Mauser from the latest 1870's or early 1880's. Took 6 months, three bullet molds and about $200.00 worth of powder to work out a load that would regulate but when I did....it's pure "D" death on anything smaller than about 1000 lbs. Second was an E. M. Reilley double in 500 BPE from the 1880's. Kinda much for deer but a lot of fun. Those were all I had for a while but now I also use a Jost & Diehl of Worms combination gun probably from the 1880's in 10.5 X 47R and 16 bore and a Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling from about 1905 in 16 X 16 over 9.3 X 75R Nimrod. All of them have been a hoot to work up brass and loads for. There's also a pre-WWI German stalking rifle in 8.15 X 46R but I believe it's too light for deer. All of them are great fun!!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts