The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if folks mostly us a bore snake when you clean your rifle, or do you use a cleaning patch with a long rod to push it through?

·
Premium Member
19,368 Posts
I use both. Shotguns and rifles bore snake. Most handguns patch.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
17,509 Posts
I use a snake sometimes for a quick cleaning job. But for a more thorough cleaning i use a cleaning rod. Not that a B Snake doesn't clean very well but i think the cleaning rod does a little better. Also use it for lever guns that i have to go thru the muzzle.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Bore snakes become a trap for grit and then the grit is raked down the barrel. Then that grit can work against the crisp inner diameter of the crown as it exits and agaion as it is pulled back out. At least that is what I have read. I do know climbing rope can be washed and you think it is clean until you start cutting it.
I use rods starting the chamber end using a bore guide. Don't clunk the jag over the inner crown edge on removal. Normally I unscrew the jag before removing the rod (more reading).
Even though I won't realize the best accuracy the gun can deliver, I can practice the procedures so my son will get well cared for pistols, revolver, and rifles.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
What bigdog357 said.

·
Premium Member
11,699 Posts
No bore snakes at my house. 'Course, given the bores on a couple of my vintage rifles it probably wouldn't matter with them. My good rifles, ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have never used a snake for cleaning. I wouldn't use one without a guide of some sort for the muzzle end. My thinking is without a guide on the muzzle end you will drag the "rope" off center over the crown and eventually damage the rifling and crown. We all know the last two inches of rifling before the muzzle end are most important for good accuracy. That being said I would think a snake has a place in the field for emergency cleaning but not regular use.

For rifles that have to be cleaned from the muzzle end I always use a guide to hold the rod centered. I try to keep it simple and have used empty shot shells with the primer hole drilled for the rod or whatever is handy. I have made muzzle guides for some on a lathe as well.

·
TFF Chaplain
19,282 Posts
I use bore snakes for a quick clean and rods and patches for a more thorough clean.

I always drag the bore snake from breech to muzzle, just as I push the patch from breech to muzzle.

This is the kit I have and use.
I have one of those that I have used for the .22.

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
I have Bore Snakes fore my rifles. I only use them for a quick clean at the range before I pack the rifle up, when I get home I do a complete Cleaning using A rod and patches before the gun goes into the safe.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts