The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
It would take a pretty sorry barrel for a cloth string to hurt it.
I would have no concern for hurting a sorry barrel. The barrels that shoot really well would have my concern. Pulling a cloth string impregnated with lots of crud from previous usage is an issue for me. To each their own. Pull straight and centered !!!

·
Premium Member
7,915 Posts
Bore Snakes are washable. I wash mine using a mesh zipper bag made for washing delicates in the washing Machine. Never damaged a barrel. I also Wash my Bore Mops the same way.

·
Super Moderator
38,530 Posts
I discovered that I do not have a .50 caliber bore snake a little while ago when I started cleaning the guns I took to the TN get together. I started with the .50 Beowulf and had to use a rod and brush for the bore. I don't have a 50 caliber brush either but the 12 gauge shotgun brush with Hoppes #9 did the trick.

·
Super Moderator
25,738 Posts
Nope, rods with brushes and patches.

Reactions: jwdurf

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
It would take a pretty sorry barrel for a cloth string to hurt it.
I agree, I don't think its possible to hurt a barrel with a bore snake, I also don't think its a great way to clean a barrel. Its a stop gap measure to use until you can properly clean your gun. I have been cleaning barrels without using bore guides and using coated and uncoated rods for forty years. I have never damage a barrel or crown. I also have never saw a reduction in accuracy in any of my rifles.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've heard that using the dishwasher for some firearms is acceptable.
You heard wrong !!! Do that then tell the misses you did and see what happens. And I am a rod and patches guy . Had a bore snake once can't remember what became of it . The both probably work good but will stick with my cleaning rods , got several . Now if I was going on a long hike or something of that nature then yes but I don't plan on doing that anytime soon.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,800 Posts
You heard wrong !!! Do that then tell the misses you did and see what happens. And I am a rod and patches guy . Had a bore snake once can't remember what became of it . The both probably work good but will stick with my cleaning rods , got several . Now if I was going on a long hike or something of that nature then yes but I don't plan on doing that anytime soon.
The boresnake probably works okay, but why change what has always worked well? I like my rods and loops and brushes; what's the reason to change what has worked well for longer than I've been alive? Profits for a company that didn't exist when I started cleaning guns, perhaps?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts