The Firearms Forum banner

DOB/Questions on three IJ Revolvers

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  b.goforth 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Mr. Goforth (and others),

I have three Iver Johnson revolvers and would appreciate any DOB or other information you can provide.

.32 Small Frame Safety Automatic Hammer (Second Model), Blued, Serial # E726XX- This gun is a family heirloom and was used by my grandfather and father to putdown cattle and kill rabid raccoons/skunks on their farm near Waterloo, Kansas until 1954. The gun has no finish (brown patina), is very loose, and has a broken return spring complete with a cracked forcing cone. I guess it has seen a lot of rounds, both BP and smokeless, but is now not safe to fire with anything other than wax bullets and primers.

.32 Small Frame Safety Automatic Hammer (Third Model), Blued, Serial # A307XX- I bought this gun recently to be a “shooter” version of the family heirloom. It has some mild finish wear, but has perfect mechanics. I often use it as CCW piece, because it is significantly smaller than a J-frame, and the five Winchester Super-X .32 S&W loads are no joke. I get about 680 fps and 85 fpe (much better than a .25 ACP) with these loads out of the gun, and the LRN bullet penetrates 4-5 gallon jugs of water, similar to many modern JHP loads from of more powerful calibers. Does anybody ever lighten the main spring on these guns? Mine almost pierces the primers it hits so hard, and a lighter SA hammer cock / DA trigger pull would greatly improve shootability.

.38 US Revolver Co Hammerless, Nickel, Serial # 91XX (No Letter)- I bought this gun because is was in excellent mechanical shape, and just has some flaking on the front of the cylinder and back of the barrel area. The cylinder is free to turn (at rest), but locks up nicely in firing position. Are smokeless loads OK for this gun? I have fired some current Winchester Super-X and Remington Express .38 S&W ammunition without issue, but I don’t want cause problems. Since it cost me only $50, I use this gun as my “airport” gun when I will be traveling out of town (sans weapons), but want some company for the drive back and forth to the long term parking lot at odd hours of the day. As a side note, the HKS speed loaders intended for the .38 J-frame work great with this gun.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to contributing to this forum! :)

.455_Hunter

See less See more
#2 ·
the first gun depending on the barrel marking could have been made in 1898 or 1901. top of the barrel will have four patent dates if 1898 and the left side of the barrel will have five patent dates if 1901.

the second revolver A 307XX was manufactured in 1911.

the third revolver u.s. revolver co. 38 top break was manufactured very early in fact the first year, 1910.

sorry i missed this one but am glad you brought it to my attention.
bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.