The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Unknown, but it's doubtful that he used a shotgun at all except for one single shot.

Doc's weapon of choice early in his western career was an 1851 Colt Navy revolver given him by his uncle, one of four. The remaining three pistols were given by Uncle John to his own sons. Later Doc carried a nickel-plated .41 caliber Colt Thunderer or the .38 caliber Colt Lightening, both double action pistols. Never was Holliday's weapon of choice a shotgun, let alone the .10 gauge Meteor "whipit" (a double-barreled shotgun cut down to a mere 20") with which he was often credited. He used a shotgun at the Tombstone gunfight because Virgil handed it to him. Being slightly built and not in robust health, the idea of Holliday's weapon of choice being a shotgun with its wicked kick is ludicrous. In Stuart Lake's Wyatt Earp, Frontier Marshal, Wyatt states, "Doc Holliday never carried a sawed-off shotgun into a fight but once in his life and upon this one occasion (the Tombstone gunfight) he threw the gun down in disgust after firing one shot and jerked the nickel-plated Colt's which was for years his favorite weapon."

http://www.tombstonetimes.com/stories/facts.html

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Thanks, now i'm going to have to do some research. I'll pop the DVD in and watch the whole movie. I've been thinking about watching that again anyways (for the thousandth time). :D.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
yeah the shotgun used in the gunfight was what i was talking about.
The 'street howitzer' used in the Showdown at the OK corral was a coachgun.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
I wouldn't rely on the movie for historical accuracy. :rolleyes:
Ya, I know that. Just saying I was going to go watch Tombstone :lmao2:.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts