The Firearms Forum banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
Ah, nope. My mama didn't raise any hero's.
I always liked the looks of the Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. Just never had any desire to actually fire one. They look great in the movies and TV shows; but, then they use blanks. LOL

Reactions: Alaska444

·
Registered
65 Posts
... and it bites like a crocodile!
Fun Gun sm.jpg

You ain't felt recoil until ya' pop a cap in this one (see below)
444 with bipod sm.jpg

14" SSK Bbl in 444 Marlin wearing homemade furniture

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a Springfield Trapdoor .45-70 that I've fired a few times in the distant past. My father bought it from a pawn store in El Paso and it's been passed down to me. It's a government surplus rifle that probably came through a catalog sale like Monkey Wards around the early part of the last century. It probably started off life as a full length musket as I've never seen the front sight band that it has on any other original piece and the stock has a cleaning rod hole or slot that is plugged up front. There is a Lyman peep sight on the grip that is seized very solidly so I can't adjust it and, I assume as a result of this installation, the original rear sight was removed. The rifling in it is just about gone so I'm afraid to shoot regular brass jacketed ammo in it but it seems to have maintained a fair amount of accuracy if I remember correctly. It's a good conversation piece and I may put a round or two through it again before I'm gone if I load up some rounds for it some day.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Ah, nope. My mama didn't raise any hero's.
I always liked the looks of the Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. Just never had any desire to actually fire one. They look great in the movies and TV shows; but, then they use blanks. LOL
I am with you on that one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
dont care what kind, modern or very old or replica, tell us about your 45/70. i have a stevens 44/1/2 with a gain twist barrel from smith out of canada. i shoot paperpatched bullets and it is a tack driver and fun to shoot. what do you have and what do you shoot in it. 50/70s are allowed to be talked about here also as well as 40/90s and others. straight cartridges that are fun to shoot. nothing better to reload than a straight case cartridge.
How about a 45-70 on a German 98 with a 3x9x40 scope

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've had a Springfield Trap Door in 45/70 that was a joy to shoot. I made up some gallery loads for it with .458 ball and unique that were very light since it was an original Trap Door.

I also shot a Rolling Block. The action is much stronger and I used it for competitions. My favorite action is the Steven's. I had the best luck with it on the rams.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Actually the pistols allow your wrists and elbows to act like fulcrums and detent much of the recoil that a rifle would deliver with unforgiving backthrust.
I like my handguns even if they have to be reloaded after ever shot.
The game rarely gets up to need finishing off

·
Registered
18,319 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call a 45-70 rifle ' unforgiving backthrust', while handwaving it in a pistol because my wrist can flex

·
Registered
435 Posts
My grandson wanted a .30-06 for Christmas 2019.

That morning he received a Savage Model 10.
He had purchased a box of Hog Buster 180gr rounds, in anticipation of Christmas morning.

We walked out to the range. He fired 1 shot, turned, went to house and put the rifle away.
He would not shoot it, again.

I loaded some lighter bullets and lighter loads, I seen a load mimicking .25-06. Took some convincing, he finally shot some and loved it.

I go through all of this because, last summer, when his other grandfather was visiting, he said he wanted a .30-30. His birthday was near and his grandfather was looking. He could not find a .30-30 and got a Marlin 1895 .45-70.

Shot it a few times to zero sights. Took his first deer in Nov, using it. His biggest complaint was the cost of ammo. He wants to trade me for a .30-30.

I have never owned or shot a .45-70. When I find a good Marlin .30-30, I will most likely own a .45-70, much to my delight.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
A couple of decades ago a friend of mine bought a Marlin lever gun in .45-70 at a gun show, this wasn't the guide gun, it had a full length octagon barrel. That thing kicked like a mule, but Mike wasn't shooting the low pressure trap door safe loads in it.

When I built my rifle I loaded up some black powder rounds with 405 grain lead bullets, I braced for impact on that first round but was pleasantly surpised at how mild it was. But then the thing weighs a bit over 10 pounds.

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
When I was a kid working for my first job after the Army, a very old gentleman who I knew on my Steel Warehouse shift found out I was looking for a .45-70. I was really wanting a Springfield trapdoor, but he brought in a rifle and offered it for sale to me as I recall - about $300. An original Marlin lever in pristine condition .45-70. I foolishly passed on it. I still kick myself even just remembering that day...

·
Registered
18,319 Posts
I have a marlin guide gun and a cheap biakal double in 45-70. Love those guns.. both are 'carbine / express' length and point well. No glass.. irons all the way.

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
I have a marlin guide gun and a cheap biakal double in 45-70. Love those guns.. both are 'carbine / express' length and point well. No glass.. irons all the way.
THAT is the way they were made to shoot. I had an M1917 Enfield rebarreled to .458 Win Mag. The barrel was a carbine length, and the recoil from full power loads was BRUTAL. I loaded it down to .45-70 power with 385 grain cast bullets and put a scope on it. After steel plates in my spine I had to give it up even with the reduced loads.

One thing about the .45-70 - with it in hand there was nothing in the woods to fear. One shot will stop any critter the Good Lord ever made.

·
Registered
18,319 Posts
THAT is the way they were made to shoot. I had an M1917 Enfield rebarreled to .458 Win Mag. The barrel was a carbine length, and the recoil from full power loads was BRUTAL. I loaded it down to .45-70 power with 385 grain cast bullets and put a scope on it. After steel plates in my spine I had to give it up even with the reduced loads.

One thing about the .45-70 - with it in hand there was nothing in the woods to fear. One shot will stop any critter the Good Lord ever made.
Agreed. On the biakal for plinking.. I even made up some trailboss loads. not mild by any means.. but much tamer than normal!

And yes.. walking in the woods with my guide gun in 45-70.. bear encounters worried me less... same for mammoth hogs..

·
Registered
283 Posts
Right now I have a Marlin 1895 first or second year of production and a Ruger #1. I had and sold off a H&R officers model trap door. I just loaded up about 100 rounds in new Starline brass. Just waiting for the weather to get a little warmer to get to the range.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts