Does anyone reload .357 sig

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mark9765, Apr 21, 2009.

1. mark9765

mark9765 New Member

Thinking about getting an XD .357 sig. How hard it it to get brass, bullets and dies. I have read a little about it. From what I understand it uses a 9mm bullet, but only certain brands due to straight side area needed for crimp. What else should be considered for reloading a .357 sig before I take the plunge and buy a .357 sig pistol? Also I am pretty sure lead bullets are out due to the high muzzle velocity.

2. Tango Victor

Tango Victor New Member

Brass isn't that difficult to find. Just don't use resized .40 S&W brass as .357 SIG brass has been beefed up in the higher stress areas. You can use
    9mm (.355) JFP bullets with no problem. I prefer the 124 gr bullets from Ranier. The only other thing some people don't like is the fact you have to lightly lube the cases prior to resizing. Other than that if you follow all the specs in your reloading manual you should be fine.

3. 3ME

3ME New Member

Ditto to the above. You can find once-fired brass without too much difficulty. I also recommend buying the carbide dies. It is an extra initial investment, but they work SOOOOO much better. Mine are Dillon, but there are others that are available too. I have never loaded cast lead, nor do I think I would want to. I use the 115 grain jacketed bullets, which are pretty easy to find and not all that expensive. 10.5 gr of #7 seems to be about right, but that will depend more on what powder you can find or already have on hand.

4. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I just got a 357 SIG and bought 5K pieces of brass off the internet for $150. Dittos on the carbide dies, if you can justify the cost, steel dies will work if you can't. I had not a bit of trouble loading the ammo. Forget the lead bullets unless you are a glutton for punishment.

5. RogerWilco99

RogerWilco99 New Member

It seems to me that anything that isn't used by the military or is "fairly" new in popularity will be fairly easy to find components and dies for. But the real issue right now is finding powder and primers. Primers are getting very hard to find. Powder supplies appear to be drying up as weill. So if you find a powder that's popular for your cartridge, buy as much as you can afford. Ditto on the primers if you find them. (probably large pistol)