Does Buck size matter?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Hovannes, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Hovannes

Hovannes Active Member

When I had a Mossberg 500, my HD Buck of choice was 00. Right now I only have an o/u for HD, so I was wondering if 00 is still the optimal load. Some are telling me to resupply with 4B.
    Does it really matter that much?

carver likes this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't see why 00 buck would not work for you. I do have #4 in my Taurus Judge but I do not own an over/under!

carver likes this.

3. The War Wagon

The War Wagon Well-Known Member

#4 is pretty much universally recommended for home defense. I have an older brick home - solid walls and such - plus I rely on the handgun/AR15 as primary HD tools. Ergo, I have my M1 Super 90 Tactical loaded alternately with slugs and 00.

If I've got it IN HAND, stand back or stand down - I MEAN, "business!" :eek:

carver likes this.
  4. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

The bottom line is speed of the projectile. Most all buck shot, no matter the size will be traveling at around 1325 fps. So given that pellet speed, which do you want to use, the one with the most shot, but short on mass, or the one with fewer shot, but big on mass. Remember that it's the mass, and speed of the projectile that will determine penetration.

5. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Does Buck Size Matter? Only if you're a Doe. Of course I'm talking short bucks vs. tall bucks here........

00 Buck Shot is GREAT stuff - but it will penetrate a whole bunch of sheetrock. Number 4 shot is much better for home defense. It will stop a bad guy just as quick and make them just as dead with less risk to your family and neighbors from over penetration of doors and walls. You ever shoot anything close range with #7 or #8 bird shot? Even THAT is mighty impressive.

ysacres and joe45c like this.
  6. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I use 00 in my primary home defense weapon. I would only use a handgun to get to my next shotgun.

joe45c and Firpo like this.
  7. bumblebee

bumblebee Well-Known Member

considering 7.5 or 8 shot will pass through 3/4 inch plywood at any distance you will ever have to defend in your dwelling, why spend the extra money?

8. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I’m with you Hawg. I keep my 9 Mike Mike, soon to be 1911 45 :D, on my nightstand and the 12 gauge Win 1897 with 00 Buck in the closet. The handgun is just something to shoot while I get to the shotgun.

Twicepop and joe45c like this.
  9. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member Supporting Member

Whenever I have seen video and test done concerning penetration it is always done at a straight on shot. Being wood-sheetrock-paneling-ect.
    What I did notice was the liberal claimed "HI-POWER" AR15 using the old mil-speck 55g full metal jacket was very low on the penetration test as it gives up its energy because of it`s low mass(weight)

Now comes the shotgun. OO buckshot is a sphere and unless it is a hardened upper end ammunition it does a few things some do not realize. At hunting distance you are doing what I call............looking for the golden BB hit. The fact is that it may show on paper some massive force/FPE, the fact is a round ball of around .30 caliber does not have much trauma. As in delivering a .30 caliber pistol or rifle round. You want that energy to release into the target.

In a house setting the spread will be fairly small meaning most pellets will achive their intended target. Using a single shot-double gun-auto-pump.

Now when you shoot in real life most are angles because your trying to used cover as is the intruder. Most rounds fired in reality, in homes are angled shots which will strike wall studs-wiring-pipes and insulation which greatly cause the round to shed energy.

Many times you will find the expended round laying one the floor after hitting the intended target.
    Still a few wives tales out there.
    Why would you feel under gunned with an O/U shotgun. The only disadvantage I can see it trying to used a very long gun in compact areas.

10. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

There are 410 pellets in a #8 shotgun shell. If you were to be shot with #8 at close range and did survive you would be in the operating room for a long time.

Twicepop and bumblebee like this.
  11. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I know what 00 will do at close range. Firpo I keep a 97 fully loaded and chambered on half cock right next to the bed. A cocked and locked 1911 in .45 ACP is just as close.