The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does leaving your semi-auto handgun locked in open position harm it? For example with the cable lock installed.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
no. Its no different than leaving a magazine loaded. Springs don't wear out by being compressed. they wear out by being worked.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with JLA not that he needs the support but he is correct about the main spring being compressed. And also about leaveing rounds in a Mag however even though i know deep down that leaveing rounds in a mag wont hunt it i alway leave 1 / 2 rounds out as a safety net for the mag spring.

no. Its no different than leaving a magazine loaded. Springs don't wear out by being compressed. they wear out by being worked.
bigdad5

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree with JLA not that he needs the support but he is correct about the main spring being compressed. And also about leaveing rounds in a Mag however even though i know deep down that leaveing rounds in a mag wont hunt it i alway leave 1 / 2 rounds out as a safety net for the mag spring.

bigdad5
Hope those 1 / 2 rds ain't the death of you :(

·
Registered
17,297 Posts
While I agree that leaving it open does not hurt the spring, it does make it easier for dust and dirt and dog hair and assorted like crud to get into the innards. I store all my guns with the bolts closed.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
While I agree that leaving it open does not hurt the spring, it does make it easier for dust and dirt and dog hair and assorted like crud to get into the innards. I store all my guns with the bolts closed.
I agree. I see no reason to store them in the open position.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with Alpo about fouling getting into the action. But i think i understand why the orginal question was asked and that was because of ease of mag incert and chambering a round. Both issues are valued but you must always make the best choice for ones self. For the record i store all my actions closed also. And my long guns all have muzzle cork plugs in them and a moisture breech plug incerted as well.
bigdad5

·
Registered
17,297 Posts
Now, I never thought about that being the reason. I figgered it would the "bolt locked open to show the gun is unloaded and therefore safe" mindset. I also consider that foolish, since just sitting there it does not matter if it is loaded or not, and when you pick it up you are supposed to check it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Alpo well said, anyone untill you physically check the fire arm your self it is loaded. That is why i went with the idea of ease of loading a mag and chambering a round. I look forward to seeing which school of mind set our fellow Dasman was useing when posting his orginal question.

bigdad5

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
The action has to be open at least somewhat for the cable lock to be installed.
Which is the subject of concern in the original question from the OP.

Ideal circumstance:
Clean pistol thoroughly, place magazines in a safe place with the ammunition. Install cable lock and close the action to rest on the cable. This will minimize the debris that can get into it.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Or you could just load em all to the gills! I don't have to wonder if the gun I pick up is loaded or not, cause I know it is, or it had better be. No one here but the wife, and I. Don't have to worry about a kid picking up one of my guns. If the grand kids come over, I pick them all up, and lock them up. They ain't been taught yet! As to OP's post, it won't hurt the springs in the gun no matter how you store it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Because I live on a farm and have no children in the house, I agree with carver; keep some guns loaded. Had 3 coyotes in the back pasture the other night chasing calves; I didn't have time to put on my pants much less load a gun. Ugly picture I know, but I have no dead calves.

My handguns, however, are stored unloaded with the slide open. That's the way they come out of the dishwasher, and that's the way I put them away.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
if i leave the wife at the house.. there is at least 1 SA with slide open and clip in, all she has to do is thumb the slide release to get it to be hot n ready. she can't pull the slide herself. past that she has her 38 revolvers, once the extra mags for the SA are exhausted. one reason why hold open slides are kinda nice. slap a new mag in, thumb n go..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts