The Firearms Forum banner

Does new primed brass need to be resized?

12K views 43 replies 22 participants last post by  seedycharacter 
#1 ·
I posted this question over on another gun/reloadong forum, but got inclusive awnsers, so thought I see what you fellas think.
While reading the basics of reloading in the Lyman 49th, I read a statemant that I should resize new brass, does that apply to new primed brass as well?

#41 ·
I wanted to double-check from others what you thought. I buy new but mostly once fired brass but in this case, I couldn't find any and lucked out on Fiocchi primed 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, which BTW the ad claimed are manufactured by Lapua. Measured a few and they all checked out OK to go. Bullets are very snug in the mouth freehand. The reason I like to double-check, it would be nice not to lube and then clean off, if recommendable. Time to reload since the snow is not in a hurry to melt and a fresh dose following this weekend. Funny coincidence, the other time I bought new primed brass were Remington 8mm, Mauser, still have some because I made plenty from 30.06 brass, so I kept the new ones. Regards, John

#6 ·
All the brass available today is mass produce by the millions on machines. If you trust the machines and inspectors to always produce cases that are within spec., then just load 'em up. I just measure a few new cases from each group I buy and usually don't need to size and if one is way off, I usually catch it when visually inspecting prior to loading...

#7 ·
new brass needs to be sized and trimmed. I have loaded it right out of the package but only because I needed fireformed brass and was gonna be trimming it again anyway. But i should have sized and trimmed it beforehand.

#8 ·
I never understood the primed brass thing in the first place? why would you even want primed brass, I like to know what I'm using and do it myself, it's such a non-time consuming step, it's just never appealed to me. But even if it claims it's ready to go, I don't trust anyone but me so I'm gonna take the extra step and run it through the resizer die even if it doesn't contact just to ensure my bullets will seat correctly.

seems common with new shotgun hulls too, lots of primed hulls for sale.

new brass is nice though, I buy new .357 brass, usually winchester or starline, as .357 ammo cost is thru the roof along with everything else.

.40 and .45 I just scrounge and buy in bulk once fired as I shoot so much of it. one good trip thru the tumbler and it looks plenty good enough.

#11 ·
Well, every one who posted may very well be right, I will add I have used both new unprimed brass and new primed brass, loaded it right out of the box. never had any problem with the bullet falling through or any of it being under sized or over sized. Just my experience. I did this when i was starting out and did not have a supply of brass on hand and I would not hesitate to do so again. Again just my experience.:) When you get a new box of bullets do you mike each one to insure that they are the right size and not under or over sized?

#12 · (Edited)
Well, every one who posted may very well be right, I will add I have used both new unprimed brass and new primed brass, loaded it right out of the box. never had any problem with the bullet falling through or any of it being under sized or over sized. Just my experience. I did this when i was starting out and did not have a supply of brass on hand and I would not hesitate to do so again. Again just my experience.:) When you get a new box of bullets do you mike each one to insure that they are the right size and not under or over sized?
Yes.

I weight sort them too.

I also weight sort my rifle brass and hand weigh all my charges for my rifles too.

#14 ·
Yes you should resize all new brass even if it is primed. I compared new resized brass and just factory resized and the difference is noticeable. When you take the time to resize it the bullet fits more snug in the case. Try it for yourself and you will see. The factory brass will allow the bullet to be seated much easier then the brass that you take the time to resize. The sizing difference will have an affect on accuracy.

#15 ·
I never understood the primed brass thing in the first place? why would you even want primed brass, I like to know what I'm using and do it myself, it's such a non-time consuming step, it's just never appealed to me. But even if it claims it's ready to go, I don't trust anyone but me so I'm gonna take the extra step and run it through the resizer die even if it doesn't contact just to ensure my bullets will seat correctly.

seems common with new shotgun hulls too, lots of primed hulls for sale.

new brass is nice though, I buy new .357 brass, usually winchester or starline, as .357 ammo cost is thru the roof along with everything else.

.40 and .45 I just scrounge and buy in bulk once fired as I shoot so much of it. one good trip thru the tumbler and it looks plenty good enough.
It's actually quite simple. It's not the time (at least not for me). It's the money.

If I buy 500 pieces of new brass, and 500 primers to go with them, I have to pay haz-mat of 25 dollars on those 500 primers. If, however, I buy 500 rounds of primed brass, there is no haz-mat fee. 25 dollar savings.

#16 ·
and 1K primers is less than 50 bucks still. so it makes 0 sense to buy primed brass.

#18 ·
No it's not. UPS dreamed it up, and when FedEx saw that the moronic public paid it, they started charging it too. Was 3 bucks, went to 4, then 5, then 7, then 10, 13, 15, 20 and now it's 25.

Just one more way for Big Brown to screw the customer. Like "Pistols have to go next day air". Lots of folks think that's government madated. Nope. All UPS's idea.

#19 ·
that's right, I forgot about the glitch; somehow primers are super safe when they're in a piece of brass or hull and don't get dinged with the hazmat fee. But then ya only get one firing and will need to buy primers anyway. But done in the right quantity, you can surely save some $$ at least the first time.

I spot check weight on rifle bullets, rifle brass and usually will weight every single powder charge. For hunting loads, I weight and sort every single component (OK, not the primer) But shotgun or pistol and it gets slammed thru the progressive and goes from the box thru my barrel without a second glance. I've found 9mm bullets in boxes of .40 and FMJ's in boxes of JHP bullets, etc but the size is always consistent enough to be safe at least.

#20 ·
No it's not. UPS dreamed it up, and when FedEx saw that the moronic public paid it, they started charging it too. Was 3 bucks, went to 4, then 5, then 7, then 10, 13, 15, 20 and now it's 25.

Just one more way for Big Brown to screw the customer. Like "Pistols have to go next day air". Lots of folks think that's government madated. Nope. All UPS's idea.
I did not know that, I was just smarting off. But, if you don't mind I would like to just flat out blame Obama for it if that's OK. It just feels right.:D

#21 ·
I only have one experience with new pre-primed brass and that was because it was on clearance, .45acp nickel plated for .07 ea. That was too good to pass up. I checked all measurements on it and it did not need sized; I loaded it up just fine. I would use pre-primed brass again if the price was right.

All the new unprimed brass get resized, I don't even bother to check any other dimension other than OAL. Most manufacturers state on the packaging that it needs sized.

#22 ·

Isn't it the government that gives the class and test for anybody that wants to become a hazmat shipper?

#24 ·
Isn't it the government that gives the class and test for anybody that wants to become a hazmat shipper?
Yes, the government is the ones that came up with "hazardous materials", and decided that THIS is safe and THAT is hazardous and THE OTHER THING is dangerous.

And, yes, the government is the ones that decided the rules on how "hazardous materials" get shipped and the special training, etc., that is needed to be a "hazardous materials shipper".

But they didn't say, "Oh, and you have to pay extra for that". That was UPS' idea.

Just like the government said that I have to ship my pistol "common carrier" (which means, for all practical purposes, UPS or FedEx, because either none of the other "common carriers" will take it, or they will not insure it), but UPS is the one that said I must pay 75 to a hundred dollars to ship it, because it MUST GO next-day air.

#25 ·
I aint ever had that problem. I mostly use Fed-Ex. and shipping a handgun has always gone std ground with bunches of insurance.

Heck i refinished Hogger129s springfield for him and the FFL that he sent it to me thru shipped it UPS ground with 200 dollars insurance. I returned it Fed-Ex ground with 1200 dollars insurance and spent about 36 bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.