The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts
I only have one experience with new pre-primed brass and that was because it was on clearance, .45acp nickel plated for .07 ea. That was too good to pass up. I checked all measurements on it and it did not need sized; I loaded it up just fine. I would use pre-primed brass again if the price was right.

All the new unprimed brass get resized, I don't even bother to check any other dimension other than OAL. Most manufacturers state on the packaging that it needs sized.

No it's not. UPS dreamed it up, and when FedEx saw that the moronic public paid it, they started charging it too. Was 3 bucks, went to 4, then 5, then 7, then 10, 13, 15, 20 and now it's 25.

Just one more way for Big Brown to screw the customer. Like "Pistols have to go next day air". Lots of folks think that's government madated. Nope. All UPS's idea.
Isn't it the government that gives the class and test for anybody that wants to become a hazmat shipper?

Isn't it the government that gives the class and test for anybody that wants to become a hazmat shipper?
Yes, the government is the ones that came up with "hazardous materials", and decided that THIS is safe and THAT is hazardous and THE OTHER THING is dangerous.

And, yes, the government is the ones that decided the rules on how "hazardous materials" get shipped and the special training, etc., that is needed to be a "hazardous materials shipper".

But they didn't say, "Oh, and you have to pay extra for that". That was UPS' idea.

Just like the government said that I have to ship my pistol "common carrier" (which means, for all practical purposes, UPS or FedEx, because either none of the other "common carriers" will take it, or they will not insure it), but UPS is the one that said I must pay 75 to a hundred dollars to ship it, because it MUST GO next-day air.

I aint ever had that problem. I mostly use Fed-Ex. and shipping a handgun has always gone std ground with bunches of insurance.

Heck i refinished Hogger129s springfield for him and the FFL that he sent it to me thru shipped it UPS ground with 200 dollars insurance. I returned it Fed-Ex ground with 1200 dollars insurance and spent about 36 bucks.

Never meet a piece of new brass that didn't need the case mouth at least straightened out some. Lube it up take the decapping pin out and resize the brass. Do you trust some one else with your reloading?

Discussion starter · #27 ·
I asked this question because I was given a partial bag of new primed Winchester brass, around 40 cases in all, some had small dings in the necks, I removed the decapping pin and neck sized them, loaded them, and they all chamber in my Win M 70.

I aint ever had that problem. I mostly use Fed-Ex. and shipping a handgun has always gone std ground with bunches of insurance.

FedEx and UPS require all handguns be shipped Next day Air. USPS will ship a Handgun if the sender is FFL.

Don't know what the penalties are if you get caught, hope you don't find out one day.

Yes, the government is the ones that came up with "hazardous materials", and decided that THIS is safe and THAT is hazardous and THE OTHER THING is dangerous.

And, yes, the government is the ones that decided the rules on how "hazardous materials" get shipped and the special training, etc., that is needed to be a "hazardous materials shipper".

But they didn't say, "Oh, and you have to pay extra for that". That was UPS' idea.

What are some of the Government imposed special handling procedures required by Hazardous Material shippers?

What ever they are, I'm sure they cost the shipper money, like all Government imposed regulations and restrictions. And like all Government regulations and restrictions these costs get passed down to the consumer.

Yes, it's a Government thing, not a UPS/FedEx thing.

is it ok to mail every part of a gun except the part with the serial number?
Yep, you are correct.

and if so, why can i mail a gun to say Ruger for repairs
Now we are getting into "terminology". "MAIL" is U S Post Office. "SHIP" can be anything. You can ship it by Post Office, you can ship it by FedEx, you can ship it by Triple A Cooper. But if you "MAIL" it, that's Post Office. You can "MAIL" your shotgun back to Ruger. You can "MAIL" your rifle back to Ruger. But you CANNOT "MAIL" your pistol back to Ruger. Non-licensees - that's somebody that does NOT have an FFL, cannot mail a pistol. Period. Ain't no legal way to do it.

and i think they can mail it back to me or is that wrong?
Terminology again. They will SHIP it back to you, but they won't MAIL it.

FFLs are for "Transfers" across state lines. "Transfer" is not "physically handing the gun to somebody", it is transferring the ownership of the gun. If I sell you a gun, it is a transfer. If I give you a gun, it is a transfer. But if I am sending my gun to Ruger to be fixed, I am not "TRANSFERRING" it to them. It is still my gun. And when they send it back, again it is not being "TRANSFERRED", because it is STILL my gun. So they send it straight back to me. No FFL required.

FedEx and UPS require all handguns be shipped Next day Air. USPS will ship a Handgun if the sender is FFL.

Don't know what the penalties are if you get caught, hope you don't find out one day.
Who would penalize him? It is not a law. The Feds don't care. It is a company policy, instituted to rape the customers just a little bit more. If I take my pistol to FedEx and tell 'em it's a pistol, and I want it to go ground, and the clerk accepts it, I did everything right. Even if the FedEx higherups found out I did it, I did nothing wrong. Like if I ordered a hamburger and the counter kid gave me a quarter-pounder. Counter kid made the error, not me.

If I told them it was car parts, or some other lie, so I could ship ground, again, there would be no penalty if they found out. BUT, if it was stolen or damaged, they would most likely deny my insurance claim because I lied.

If I told them it was car parts, or some other lie, so I could ship ground, again, there would be no penalty if they found out. BUT, if it was stolen or damaged, they would most likely deny my insurance claim because I lied.
Wouldn't this be a violation of Federal Law?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

If you read those laws they quote, it does not say you have to inform. ATF FAQs say you have to inform, but last time I looked ATF don't make they law. They THINK they do, but they don't.

922 (a) (2) (A) refers to licensed dealers, and does not apply to us

922 (a) (3) says for an interstate transfer we must go though an FFL

922 (a) (5) says we can't sell to someone that is not a resident of our state

922 (e) is the one that applys, but it still don't say that.

>(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or
cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for
transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to
persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers,
licensed dealers, or licensed collectors,
any package or other
container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without
written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is
being transported or shipped; <

See, it says I can't ship INTERSTATE, without telling them, so I can ship anywhere in Florida. The FAQ don't mention that. Also notice I have to tell 'em if I'm shipping interstate to anyone OTHER than an FFL. Since I can't ship INTERSTATE to anyone OTHER than an FFL, 922 (e) doesn't apply.

http://trac.syr.edu/laws/18/18USC00922.html US Code 922, if you want to check it out yourself.

27 CFR 478.31 says the same thing, word for word, as 922 (e). Interstate commerce, foreign export, and NON-FFL.
http://law.justia.com/cfr/title27/27-2.0.1.2.3.3.1.13.html

478.30 says I can't sell to a non-resident.
http://law.justia.com/cfr/title27/27-2.0.1.2.3.3.1.12.html

so i can ship my firearm to my friend who is borrowing it for a hunt or event in another state and then he must return it to me, no determinate amount of time, no transfer at all

actually i have looked into this abit and i have read it somewhere in the rules that one can actually ship a firearm to ones self at an address of i would assume someone one knows for an event or happening but only I am supposed to be the one who would then go there and open the package to use the firearm for the purpose. pretty crazy, but legal.

Legally, probably. But you won't find a shipper that will do it. They are too busy trying to cover their butts to worry about little things like legalities.

And yes, you can ship it to yourself. If I was gonna go hunt in Connecticut, I could ship my gun to me, in care of Beth. Then when I get off the plane I just go to Beth's house and pick up my gun. No transfer involved, so it is still my gun, and no FFL needed. Beth, however, cannot open the package.

new brass needs to be sized and trimmed. I have loaded it right out of the package but only because I needed fireformed brass and was gonna be trimming it again anyway. But i should have sized and trimmed it beforehand.
So true. Try sizing one and I think you will find the die makes the brass smaller. The manufactures will tell you to size and trim.

Who would penalize him? It is not a law. The Feds don't care. It is a company policy, instituted to rape the customers just a little bit more. If I take my pistol to FedEx and tell 'em it's a pistol, and I want it to go ground, and the clerk accepts it, I did everything right. Even if the FedEx higherups found out I did it, I did nothing wrong. Like if I ordered a hamburger and the counter kid gave me a quarter-pounder. Counter kid made the error, not me.

Exactly right Alpo. Dont ask dont tell kinda thing.. Just ship it, mark it fragile and put some insurance on it. They tend tio treat the packages a little nicer when theres a grand or so worth of insurance on it.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.