Does The Gun Fit?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by LDBennett, Jun 17, 2020.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Just because the gun world “loves” a particular gun does not mean it is right for you.

I got to shoot the hot competition star gun (nameless loner) and I did not like the experience. It was not a bad gun but just did not fit my short fingered smallish hands. Even though it had the “correct” high hold, I had to reach around the grip (wrong hold) to reach the trigger. I physically could not reach the trigger in double action with the “correct” hold. The trigger was heavily curved for double action and it poked at my finger and was uncomfortable in single action (I NEVER shoot any handgun double action as I am a target shooter). The supposedly “great trigger” had a bit of creep I could easily feel and was less than stellar compared to my many re-worked triggers on many of my guns. Others claim this to be the best trigger in these type guns in stock form. It appears expectation vary!

So is the gun wrong or is it that my requirements, due to my physical limitation, don’t match the gun? Until you shoot any gun, you really don’t have an idea whether the gun is right for you. The gun community may love the gun and it still be wrong for you. I have a similar different model of that gun (single action only) and I love it but I still have to choke up the hold to get to the trigger as I do for most all my guns. This test gun just emphasized my physical limits and the trigger was not “perfect” for me, as claimed by others.

Test before you buy!

LDBennett

2. ysacres

ysacres Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Most Buy because of price, looks, hearsay.
    Not many say I shot 5 different manufactures and this is the one that fit.

3. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

When first time gun buyers ask me "What gun should I buy?" I always tell them to handle every gun in the shop. The one that feels natural in your hand is the one you will shoot the best. Do just buy the one you read about in a magazine. (do people still read magazines?)
    As an example one of my brothers loves Glocks. I hate them. I can't fault the guns. I've shot several different models and they all are well made, with nice clear sights. But I can't hit the side of a barn from the inside with a Glock. They just don't feel right to me.

4. sparkyv

sparkyv Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree. Before I make a purchase, I do scour any comments/reviews/ resources so I can understand the reliability and get an overall impression of the firearm. But in the end, I gotta hold it, feel it, and if possible, shoot it before I know if "it fits".

5. LDBennett

While it may not be practical to shoot every possible gun you may want, at least handle them before you buy. Don't be misguided by "reports" (magazines, Internet, YouTube, etc.). Forget about the looks of the gun while evaluating the grip feel. The latter is the most important. Hand sizes vary all over the place and a universally designed grip may not fit you. With today's high capacity semi-autos you get huge grip sizes and, for me, some guns that are just not easy to handle without varying from the correct grip.

Then there is the absurd large capacity (18,20) double stack magazines that make the grips huge. In CA we can only have 10 rounds and that is really enough for casual shooting and even self defense. If you can not stop a perp with 10 shots you need to practice accuracy more! But today it is all about running around shooting, double and triple shots, for tactical games. Sorry but it bothers me to think the correct action to a life threat is 10 rounds in the body and one in the head, as the latest NRA ad highlights. I don't think I need 18 or 20 rounds to stop a perp treatening my life and certainly don't need that many rounds to hit a bullseye target or chase a can in the field. But hey, that's just me.

LDBennett

ms6852 and flboots like this.
  6. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

Reading OP, my first thought was Block
    er, uh, I mean Glock.

Yes, they are reliable. I shoot 1911, always have. Don't like, can't shoot any double stack mag. Blocks feel weird in my hand and that trigger is atrocious.

People love them, people hate them. People buy them because of the name and have never shot them.

ms6852, Alpo, flboots and 1 other person like this.
  7. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

First time buyers do face a dilemma. For the uninformed it has to be mind boggling. My suspicion is most want a handgun for personal protection and aren't interested in making it a hobby though doubtless some will. Hopefully they will take the time to become both familiar and reasonably proficient with their choice of firearm. I expect most haven't done as many of us and made the transition from 22 to 32 or 38 to more powerful handguns, revolvers and semi-auto's.

It's largely a matter of taste and preference; I agree with Wild Turkey, double stack anything just doesn't feel right or good to me. They're like trying to hit with a baseball bat with a handle that's too big, or worse, too little.

shootbrownelk and ms6852 like this.
  8. SeeMor Guns

SeeMor Guns Well-Known Member

I recently had a similar experience. I went in search of a 10mm semi auto. I wanted a Glock 40 MOS. I looked at several different brands and models. I stumbled across an Springfield XDm10. I didn't know SA had stepped into the 10mm market. Just so happened that there was the XDm in the same gun case as the Glock 40. After handling both at the same time, the XDm fit me much better than the Glock. I bought the XDm. I am in love with this gun!! 20200516_084520.jpg

9. LDBennett

You have to buy the gun that fits but no plastic guns for me. I have never owned anything plastic that doesn't eventually get hard and break. I certainly don't want that to happen to my guns that will go to the family when I am gone and maybe even a few more generations. So the guns have to be able to last. Can not see that happening with plastic guns.

Plastic is used because it is cheap as a raw material, inexpensive to mold into shape with little or no machining required, light, and in style. Metal guns can be expensive but they can last for generation if made of steel or aluminum (no zinc alloys that are soft, weak, wear poorly, melt at temperatures near solder's melting point, and don't blue or look good polished). But we all get to choose and some newbys are price oriented and nothing else. Even my nephew turned down buying a CZ 75B for a Glock based on pricing. Maybe some day he will learn. I'm training the grandson the "right ways" !! :) :)

LDBennett

Kvasir and Wild Turkey Cogburn like this.
  10. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

1911s out there, well over 100 years old.
    Same with Colt, Remington, Marlin, S&W, Mausers, even Iver Johnson.

I seriously doubt a plastic fantastic will make 100 years and be in safe firing condition, that has been used much.

sharps4590 and Kvasir like this.
  11. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

Like the rest I have to handle the gun to see if it fits right. I do lots of research before I go looking. Number of rounds it holds is no big concern, 8 to 10 is good for me. Cost is another item I look at. Function over looks. To me a pistol or long gun are tools. They don't have to look nice just work when I want the to. I also like heavy guns. i can't handle light weight weapons. Im all over the place. When I find a gun i like I'll wait 3 to to 7 days to buy it. I want to make sure I'm not doing an impulse buy. Rethink it.

BlackEagle and Kvasir like this.
  12. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

When I first started buying guns I would frequent the gunshows as this was a great way to handle a variety of guns without buying them. These are the reason that I buy only certain guns, not for the looks as much as I would like but for how it feels in the hand. To these day I've wanted to buy a ruger mark one through four 22lr but the fit is not the same as the browning buck mark for me. Which is puzzling because I love the feel of a 1911.

jwdurf likes this.
  13. LDBennett

In my current financial condition (absolutely excellent!) I have opened my buying to "better" guns. In the last year I bought four pistols that all cost well over $1000 each that ten years ago I never would have bought. But every one was lusted after for years and years. All are stunningly beautiful to me, fit and finish is excellent, triggers great (after some easy trigger work on the two 1911's) and shoot well (more than accurate enough for me). While others in not so great a financial position need to consider less expensive guns, I suggest that they should save a bit longer to get what they want rather make a big compromise and end up selling later because they hate it.

LDBennett

ms6852 likes this.
  14. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

Some select new shooters I bring to the range and let them shoot a variety of my guns to help them make a better informed decision. Revolver, auto, different calibers, that sort of thing.
    As a cruel joke I also bring my C96 "broomhandle". Most fall in love with it and ask where they can get one.
    :lol:

ms6852 and sharps4590 like this.
  15. Patches

Patches Well-Known Member

Try before you buy is more than a slogan and applies to firearms.
    For all you young men and women out there, it should also be applied when selecting a spouse.
    :love:

ms6852, gvw3 and SeeMor Guns like this.