The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since they were able to make a revolver that will shoot both .22LR and .22 WMR, is it possible they've made a rifle that can do the same, too? I really doubt it, but just thought I'd ask. If this is a really dumb question, excuse it as a newb's way of thinking. ;)

·
Registered
18,394 Posts
Kristie, the reason they can make a revolver that will fire both is because it has interchangeable cylinders. One is chambered for long rifle and the other is chambered for magnum. To make a rifle that would do both they would have to have some way to switch the chambers.

Generally rifle chambers are part of the barrel, so making a rifle that would fire both Long Rifle and Magnum would require two different barrels.

Thompson Center makes such a gun. You have the receiver, and then you have interchangeable barrels, that will all fit on the same receiver. You can get a Long Rifle barrel, and you can get a Magnum barrel. You can also get high-powered barrels - 223, 30/30, 30/06, etc.

That's the only way I can think of that it could be done.

·
Premium Member
10,125 Posts

·
Registered
18,394 Posts
Its "breakthrough removable cylinder"? Rossi just came up with that idea, did they? Wow.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Not a bad idea making the handgun guts into a rifle, been done before in one fashion or another probably, but $710?? I don't think so, I haven't looked up what the TC's cost for the receiver, and the 2 different barrels, not cheap I'm sure, but I think the TC would probably be better quality than the Rossi, not that there is anything wrong with the Rossi products persay, some makers just turn out a better product, having caliber versatility in one platform is something that has always appealed to me, but the closest I've came was almost buying a double barrel .22/20g combo, same thing can be achieved with the AR paltform I guess, just never been a black gun fan, and doesn't look like I will own one because I happened on a deal one day, could be wrong though, all this panic buying of AR type weapons has got to have some kind of backlash, of some kind, at some point, just not sure what that backlash/effect will be,

·
Registered
18,394 Posts
Savage will be cheaper, but I think CZ is a better gun.

An excellent one would be a used Mossberg. A 320 or 340, from the 60s or 70s.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Interesting. Didn't figure it would be very feasible. That Rossi just looks ridiculous! :eek: Maybe I'll just look for one or the other, then. What's a good bolt action in either caliber?
The Rossi is a nice little rifle Kristie.
It is pricey, and will not have the accuracy
a CZ or Savage bolt action delivers.
A lever action .22WMR is sweet...Henry
has a nice one.[fits in your arsenal well]

A short barrel that shoots .22WMR is not much for
long range accuracy, no matter who makes it.
>.22WMR = Winchester Magnum Rifle and the
cartridge [caliber] is a serious and awesome little round,
but designed for rifle use to get maximum potential......
and it works well.
A 'scoped' 20" quality .22WMR rifle is a super deadly
accurate platform with serious consequences to the end user.

I shoot lots from a 5.5" and a 6.5" barrel handgun....and am very
happy with the accuracy results.[also 14" T/C barrel]
I also shoot the same ammo in carbines and rifles......and the
accuracy is an incredible degree of jump from the short barrels.

The .22WMR cartridge looks so similar to a .22long rifle except for
the length, but it is a larger diameter. Not much, but enough to
keep someone from putting it in the wrong gun.

Back to the Rossi....it is NOT just a 'novelty' gun......
it does shoot very well.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
This one may well still be my favorite....
Not a trace of blueing left, and only a trace
of anodized aluminum.....50yrs old....
and as tight as the day she was made.
[and a gift from my son]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.