The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Man, you guys know your stuff! That's why I asked instead of just relying on my research. Not sure what I want to do. Didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on this one. And would like to get a package deal with a scope if I can. I'll probably opt for just a regular ol' .22LR cause it's so cheap to shoot. I do like the .22WMR round, but not sure that's the way to go pricewise. Oh, and I do have a single six convertible - that's why I wanted a rifle that can do the same thing!

· Registered
18,462 Posts
Man, you guys know your stuff! That's why I asked instead of just relying on my research. Not sure what I want to do. Didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on this one. And would like to get a package deal with a scope if I can. I'll probably opt for just a regular ol' .22LR cause it's so cheap to shoot. I do like the .22WMR round, but not sure that's the way to go pricewise. Oh, and I do have a single six convertible - that's why I wanted a rifle that can do the same thing!
That's it, right there. I've got three Single-Sixes with the magnum cylinder, and used to have a Sentinel Mark IV with both cylinders. I have a box and a half of Magnums, bought in 1980 when I bought the Sentinel. The Rugers have never had the magnum cylinders put in the gun. Magnums just cost to dang much. 5 bucks a box, when Long Rifles were 80 cents, was bad. At the time I was loading 38 specials for 1.50 a box.

Nowadays, 10 dollars a box is just crazy for non-reloadable throw-away-the-brass ammo.

· Registered
117 Posts
If you try you can get a good 22 lr bolt and a good 22 mag bolt for a total of arround $400. Buy the lr first and see if you even want a mag. I usually get a hankering, get one, don't like it and get rid of it, which isn't to hard if I am not trying recover all my money.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
But before you give in/give up....
check out the Rossi
It really intrigues me.
I may gotta get one
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-deta...adcrumbseries=

Don't you already have a .22lr Golden Boy
to match up with your Ruger Single-Six?
Nah, I don't want that thing! I definitely am after a bolt action. And I more or less decided on .22 to keep it cheap. I just want it for fun plinking. And while I do like .22 mag, I think the price of the ammo would stop me for using it as much as I'd like to otherwise. And yes, I do have the Golden Boy, and I still love it the best. Still can't hit anything with the Single Six and am getting annoyed about it.

I'm not in a hurry to spend the money, that's for sure, so I'll probably just kick the idea around for a while and see what I find.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.