The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using Lee FCDs for all straight walled cases and it is hard to tell if I am using too much crimp.

I use lead cast or plated bullets exclusively.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
I'm using Lee FCDs for all straight walled cases and it is hard to tell if I am using too much crimp.

I use lead cast or plated bullets exclusively.
Crimp only enough to remove the flare. Are you measuring your crimp? Measuring is a good way to tell if you are crimping enough or too much.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Crimp only enough to remove the flare. Are you measuring your crimp? Measuring is a good way to tell if you are crimping enough or too much.
while doing as steve suggests is good its just not enough.. criming just enough to remove the flare will only bring the walls of the case back to being straight. the crimp need just a little more to hold the bullet in the case. and if being used in a tube magazine a little more to keep the bullet from being pushed futher down into the case and compressing the powder and then of course failing to feed as needed. ( as its now too short!)

so how much crimp is good and when its too much depends on what cal is being shot and sometimes what type of gun its being shot in.

and to answer the op's question...yes too much crimp can affect your accuracy. but then thats why its recommended you do your load developments when reloading! load 5-10 and shoot them..record your results.
repete till you find the best combo for your weapon! yes you can experment with the amount of crimp also. or like some of us do just rely on a "fractory" style crimp die such as Lee makes!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
For semi-auto ammo, toss the FCD and get a taper crimp die (semi-auto ammo should not be crimped, just remove flare. Neck tension of properly szed case will hold the bullet in place). For revolver ammo, toss the FCD and get a roll crimp die (A roll crimp is used with all crimp groove/cannalure bullets to keep them in place, along with neck tension, and in some cases aids ignition of powder). Google or search "Lee's Factory Crimp die" and you'll get some of the on-going debate on the worth of a Lee "post bullet seating sizing die"...

Yes, the type and amount of crimp can affect accuracy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts