The Firearms Forum banner

Does you hand gun shoot exactly where you aim it?

4K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Zane71464 
#1 ·
A lot of us buy hand guns for plinking, and self defense. Some of the smaller ones have fixed sights that don't move, and some have front, and rear sights that can be moved right, or left, for windage. If it shoots high - you need a taller sight, but the pistol you bought doesn't have a removable front sight. This used to be done, and can still be done, by filing down the notch in the rear sight to make it deeper. If it shoots low - you need a shorter sight. You can accomplish this by lightly filing the front of your sight to lower it. If it shoots to the left - you can slightly bend the sight to the left. If it shoots to the right - you can slightly bend the sight to the right. The best choice is to find a bullet weight, and load, that best suits your particular hand gun. You can also adjust for windage with your trigger finger to a small degree. Try pushing our pulling your trigger finger deeper into the trigger guard our pulling it out of the trigger guard. If you want to shoot left (right handed) slide your finger a bit further into the trigger guard, if you want to shoot right, pull you finger out of the trigger guard. You can also add a laser sight to some pistols.
If you don't want to do any of this yourself, then take the gun to a good gun smith. There are several fixes that can be done on any hand gun.

http://www.***********.com/video/adjusting-fixed-sights-on-a-handgun/

See less See more
#2 ·
I absolutely SUCK at the range with a semi-auto... For some reason I just can't get any consistent shot groups. Move to revolver or rifle and I am fine... I can do fairly well with my semi-auto as long as the laser is on, but no laser and I am grouping about the size of a cantaloupe at 20ft... I thought that modifying the pistol would do the trick, but after countless hours and dollars worth of work on it I had to come to the realization that I now have a great handgun in the holster of a horrible handgun shooter lol.

#3 ·
I absolutely SUCK at the range with a semi-auto... For some reason I just can't get any consistent shot groups. Move to revolver or rifle and I am fine... I can do fairly well with my semi-auto as long as the laser is on, but no laser and I am grouping about the size of a cantaloupe at 20ft... I thought that modifying the pistol would do the trick, but after countless hours and dollars worth of work on it I had to come to the realization that I now have a great handgun in the holster of a horrible handgun shooter lol.
You might need some good instructions on trigger control with that semi-auto. A good instructor will pick up on what you are doing as soon as you start shooting.

Attachments

#4 ·
This isn't the best area for a 'good instructor'... I have copies of those targets here at the shop, Mostly it's in the 'pushing/heeling/wrist breaking up' area. I don't have the problem with my Colt 1911 or revolvers, just these dang Glocks... I asked the other gunsmith for assistance while we were at the range, and the first thing he told me was to "get rid of that plastic piece of $h** and buy something metal with some weight to it!"

#5 ·
You are only about 150 miles from Gun Site. GUNSITE ACADEMY, INC 2900 W. GUNSITE ROAD PAULDEN ARIZONA 86334 phone: 928-636-4565 Man if I lived that close to Gun Site, I wouldn't have any money! OK, you shoot a Glock, have you considered getting a trigger job done on it?

#7 ·
Did a trigger job on it... Full Spring kit, 3.5 connector, full polish job, slight grip reduction/stippling... I only have Sundays off so traveling 150mi. on sunday is a tad difficult when my old lady schedules all of "our" time on sundays... If I take her, she will shoot up all my ammo before I learn anything.

#8 ·
I ain't real sure you got a problem, other than keeping the wife out of the ammo! :D

#9 ·
It's hard to keep the same sight picture with the 23C because when I shoot it, the heat from the barrel comes out right in front of the sight. I went through some diff sight sets and settled on the laser because I have the best grouping with it. I'd love to carry my 1911 but I'm kind of a skinny fella and it drags my britches down lol (and the old lady decided that it's hers now) :(

#11 ·
Carver, when I showed that diagram you posted above to my wife, it really helped her correct her pattern. Once she realized she was anticipating and flinching at the trigger pull, it helped her...that and sticking some snap caps randomly in her magazine

#12 ·
I would suggest using a two hand hold with your outer hand applying more down pressure to hold the recoil down longer allowing the sights to stay a fraction of a second longer on target. Do not shoot any other handguns but the one you want to master at this time. You could try covering what you want to hit with the muzzle by looking down the slide rather than using the sights. I do this at shorter distances.

#14 ·
It's hard to keep the same sight picture with the 23C because when I shoot it, the heat from the barrel comes out right in front of the sight. I went through some diff sight sets and settled on the laser because I have the best grouping with it. I'd love to carry my 1911 but I'm kind of a skinny fella and it drags my britches down lol (and the old lady decided that it's hers now) :(
You obviously dont have the right carry gear...the right belt and holster will allow you to carry anything effortlessly. I do suggest you look at a 1911 commander with a scandium aluminum frame for everyday carry.

#15 ·
This isn't the best area for a 'good instructor'... I have copies of those targets here at the shop, Mostly it's in the 'pushing/heeling/wrist breaking up' area. I don't have the problem with my Colt 1911 or revolvers, just these dang Glocks... I asked the other gunsmith for assistance while we were at the range, and the first thing he told me was to "get rid of that plastic piece of $h** and buy something metal with some weight to it!"
+1 to the gunsmith's advice...

#17 ·
Well, I changed my support hand position for a little more downward support and dropped a SS guide rod in it for weight and am hitting center (not all in the X oval but at least in the X and surrounding oval) on a silhouette target. my first shot was a little high left just into the 9 ring but the rest I managed to keep centered. Got a group softball sized instead of cantaloupe haha. I'll keep practicing that hand placement and see if I can shrink that group size. :) Either that or start carrying the Judge with PDX1's (¬.¬)

#18 ·
You obviously dont have the right carry gear...the right belt and holster will allow you to carry anything effortlessly. I do suggest you look at a 1911 commander with a scandium aluminum frame for everyday carry.
I use a Tagua Thumb break belt holster. Problem is I don't have much of a behind to keep my jeans up, even with my belt cinched. I do want that Colt lightweight Commander, but I spent all of my play money on my AR and a little revolver for the Mrs. So I have to do a few more jobs before I can get one (assuming I can find them available somewhere when I have the money)

#19 ·
Here are a couple of training techniques that may help if your problem is lack of a nice even trigger pull with no flinching.

You need a partner to help with these, and a dime.

1. Unload your fire arm. Check the chamber to be certain your fire arm is empty. You will be dry firing it so use double vigilance.
2. Cock the fire arm and safety off.
3. Assume your firing stance. I practice using both the horse stance and the T stance. Which ever stance you use you should grip the fire arm as you would if you were about to fire it.
4. Have your helper balance the dime flat on the front sight.
5. Dry fire the weapon.

The dime should not fall off. In this way you are seeing how the muzzle of the fire arm moves when you squeeze the trigger. If the dime stays put the muzzle has not moved.

Also when at the range, have a shooting partner load you magazines for you. Get some dummy rounds. Have your shooting partner load the dummy rounds in a random order in your magazine. That way you never know if you have a live round chambered or a dummy. Use the laser and have your partner watch the dot. It should not move when the dummy is chambered and the weapon is fired.

#20 ·
I use a Tagua Thumb break belt holster. Problem is I don't have much of a behind to keep my jeans up, even with my belt cinched. I do want that Colt lightweight Commander, but I spent all of my play money on my AR and a little revolver for the Mrs. So I have to do a few more jobs before I can get one (assuming I can find them available somewhere when I have the money)
What kind of belt are you using? This makes all the difference in the world. Mine is a thick chunk of leather that will support 2 full size 1911s with no problem...

#21 ·
NPGunsmith, DD is right about the belt, it is, IMHO, more important than the holster you choose. It is the foundation for your gear. A good strong foundation is always required in anything you do.

#22 ·
Ehk, yeah my belt is a woven fabric belt (it had a beer bottle opener buckle). I'll snag one of the big leather belts we sell here. @siplace I remember doing the dime trick in basic training with the M16, it never occurred to me to use the same trick for handguns. Thank for the info guys :)

#24 ·
Ehk, yeah my belt is a woven fabric belt (it had a beer bottle opener buckle). I'll snag one of the big leather belts we sell here. @siplace I remember doing the dime trick in basic training with the M16, it never occurred to me to use the same trick for handguns. Thank for the info guys :)
Without a thick leather belt, I dont care what you do, it wont work. You will always have issues with sag and bounce and the gun will never pull tight to your side. I can carry a full size 1911 without any problem and I dont have a butt to support it with either. Its all about the right gear.

#25 ·
Any hand gun I have "has" to shoot where I aim it....no Kentucky Windage for them.
If I cant "fix" the sights, I wont and dont own the gun for very long.
Handguns for me has to be hitting POA with no exceptions. If I'm new to one and there
is a chance it's just me, I'll try to work it out, if not, it's bye-bye to the firearm.

#26 ·
On several occasions after firing over a hundred rounds out of a S&W 38 4" I have had bullets start to fly, even from 15 yards. Turned out in each case the barrel had leaded up. Good cleaning, back to zero.
just saying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.