Dog just started having seizures...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mogunner, Aug 22, 2017.

1. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

Figured I'd post an update. Took him into the vet and had the full workup done on him, short of an MRI which would have run us over $1k. He's the picture of health other than the random seizures every two weeks give or take a few days, so they started him on phenobarbital, he gets three 30mg pills every 12 hours. So far he's been seizure-free for 22 days. His aggressiveness towards the other male dogs has nearly disappeared as well. He can be a bit unsteady on his feet at time but seems to be adjusting to that. He's almost what we'd call "overly-loving" which can be a bit of a pain at times like when you're trying to put socks or pants on...but we're happy to see him doing well so he gets more attention than ever now. Now if they could do something about his farts...

2. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Good to see that he is responding well, and hope he stays seizure free.

tedwitt, mogunner and crystalphoto like this.

3. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Active Member

Is there any way he could be getting walnuts? Especially black walnut. There is a mold or fungus they get on them that CAN give a dog seizures. Stop eating them, the seizures stop.

tedwitt likes this.
  4. mogunner

Nope, none around here. Just acorns and hickory nuts and he isn't the one that chomps on stuff outside other than grass when his stomach is upset, which also seems to have stopped.

Jack Ryan and One Shot like this.
  5. tedwitt

tedwitt Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Good day Sir, I used 24D and 24DT. That was for killing weeds, I think they were both outlawed, really bad stuff.

6. mogunner

I use vinegar, Dawn detergent and salt if I am trying to get rid of vegatation, but here I just till the heck out of it every chance I get and that seems to do the trick, except on the stupid yucca plants that the lady planted everywhere, those take a bit more of a hands-on approach with a pickaxe it seems.

7. tff-bug

tff-bug Member

Had a Labrador retriever 7&1/2 years old. 8 epileptic fits in 4 days. It destroyed the dog. The vet said she was in the process of having another one while we were putting her down. Most times it happens between 5 to 7 years old. WHY ???

8. tedwitt

tedwitt Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I hate to hear that.

9. Stahlrosen

Stahlrosen Well-Known Member

I don't know. Sad :( I know if it is genetic they generally occur by 3 years old. I had an import male that started seizing right about 3 years old. He lived till about 6, but I had to retire him at 3. His was genetic. His mother / sisters and some other relatives had problems as well.