The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally rewrote my Firearms and Cartridge software. I programmed it in COBOL back in the early nineties. Yeah, they still had Disco Balls back then. Updated it ten years later to include my DOPE. And finished my latest rewrite this week.

Everything is menu driven and uses Master tables to keep the data uniform and consistent. I can enter Firearms or load data independent of each other or create a relationship between any firearm to one of more cartridges; thus providing the basis to record and use DOPE.

Here’s a little sample of the software.
Some of the basic menus –
Product Azure Rectangle Font Parallel

Cartridge forms
A cartridge may have my personal load data – OR – store a range of load data as found in most manuals.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Screenshot

Cartridge reports
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Pattern

Firearm Form
Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

Firearm printout
Font Rectangle Music Parallel Screenshot

Example 1 of 10 Master tables (maintenance utility)
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Screenshot

· Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
8,123 Posts
Sweet! How did you happen on COBOL in 1990??? Did Borland make a TurboCOBOL or something? I tried out COBOL in 1976, using Hollerith cards instead of an IDE. A 100 line program produced 182 critical errors, though the experts in the college computer center could not identify a single error in my code. I've never had any wish to try again!

Nice looking interface, though; neat and very readable. Is it commercially available?

Reactions: Gudaki

· Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sweet! How did you happen on COBOL in 1990??? Did Borland make a TurboCOBOL or something? I tried out COBOL in 1976, using Hollerith cards instead of an IDE. A 100 line program produced 182 critical errors, though the experts in the college computer center could not identify a single error in my code. I've never had any wish to try again!

Nice looking interface, though; neat and very readable. Is it commercially available?
COBOL was the main language I used when I started coding professionally in the mid-eighties. I started with Texas Instrument's version of COBOL 74. Once Ryan Mcfarland (Now Micro Focus) offered a Cobol 85 DOS compiler I started writing COBOL and Assembler cross compilers for companies that got stuck with RPG (Report Program Generator). Back then I was paid by the K-LOC (thousand lines of code).

Punch cards were a bit before my time. I still code in Visual COBOL for my investments (Technical Analysis).

Thanks, I try to make stuff clean and simple. I wrote this Firearm and Cartridge application using Microsoft Access and Visual Basic so I could give it away to anyone who wants it. It should run on any Windows version from Win 7 through current, as long as the computer has Microsoft Office installed.

• Helpful
Reactions: gvw3
1 - 6 of 6 Posts