The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
12,474 Posts
Re: Donnie D's shooting bench

Very nice! Looks like quality work. Do the legs fold up easily?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yes. The legs are very heavy duty as well.
Donnie D :D

·
TFF Chaplain
20,419 Posts

Nice work. Looks sturdy, stable, and well built.

·
Premium Member
9,578 Posts

Nice bench!!
Want to build one for me?
How heavy is it ?
When I try to build something like that it ends up being so heavy that it takes a forklift to move it:D
I have different ranges on my property (different yardage) so moving it around can be a pain.
I know why don't I have more then one?
The anser is when I build with wood I end up with hurt fingers(from missing the nails when hammering them) and it takes longer then building a house and always ends up heaver then a house.
Mike

·
Registered
742 Posts

Nice lookin bench there!!!!!
How much to make and ship me one?(just kiddin but someone here will ask!)

·
Registered
981 Posts

Nicely done Donnie

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Weighs probably 30 pounds or so. Only cost about $75 to build as long as you can get the legs for $40 or less. You could also use galvanized pipe and galanized pipe floor flanges to make screew in legs, but it would cost about the same or maybe even a bit more, and would take a bit longer to set up and break down.
Donnie D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

This is the version I put together this summer.
It was in the high 80's the day my nephew & grandnephew and I went to try it out.:eek:
Great idea using the wooden sawhorse legs. I meant to show this in my video, but I forgot. I use a small inexpensive adjustable chair with mine. It works great as it allows you to change your seating height depending if you are using a rest, bipod or whatever. The chair uses a pnuematic piston to change height. I got it from Wal Mart for 20 bucks. Easier to change the chair height than it is to change the table height.
Donnie D

·
Registered
479 Posts

I keep mine inside and wanted to make it easily transportable.
Removable wheels and hitch!!

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,735 Posts

I built mine out of 2x4, 4x4, and 2x6 treated pine and cemented in the ground. Not portable but very stable.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts

My home made bench. Legs came off a thrown away table, they fold up, and lock in position when opened. Price $0. A half sheet of 3/4" plywood, cut on both sides to accomodate right, or left, handed shooters, and a generous coat of porch paint. It weighs in at around 35 pounds, and is easy to move, but sturdy. The rest I got at Academy Sport, for something like $35. Front rest verticle adjustments are easy, and you can shoot a hand gun off it. As you can see in the picture the cover comes off to allow large capacity mags as well. The telescope has been replaced with a spotting scope.

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts

Great idea using the wooden sawhorse legs. I meant to show this in my video, but I forgot. I use a small inexpensive adjustable chair with mine. It works great as it allows you to change your seating height depending if you are using a rest, bipod or whatever. The chair uses a pnuematic piston to change height. I got it from Wal Mart for 20 bucks. Easier to change the chair height than it is to change the table height.
Donnie D
I like the way you covered your bench. I need to do that also, elbows get scraped on my top from recoil.

I like the desk chair idea. that would help short shooters.:)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks folks. Keep up the posts. I like seeing the different ideas people come up with for their shooting benches. Makes for an interesting thread and gives everyone some great ideas.

Donnie D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice work Donnie

Here is a picture of my 100 yard bench taken a few years ago, the
legs are 6x6 and the rest of it is 2x8, and 2x6. As you can see it
dosn`t get moved, I think it is 12 or 13 years old now. I like to have
friends come over for an afternoon shoot. Also have a bench at 25 ft.
25, 50,and 200 yards. CHUCK41

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts