Double barrel .410 with Field London engraved along the rail

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by davidnamandabugg, Apr 23, 2009.

1. davidnamandabugg

davidnamandabugg New Member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. davidnamandabugg

I picked this piece up in Afghanastan in 2004/05. Can anyone tell me the origin and value?

3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Well, not a lot.

In my opinion...Its almost certainly originally English. Made I would think 1880-1900ish in London by one of the dozens of small gun companies at the time. .410 was introduced about 1880, so that would fit. Damascus barrels, (Long strips of steel twisted and wrapped around a rod) so I wouldn't shoot modern .410s out of it, despite the words 'nitro proof'.

Probably taken out there when the British were in Afghanistan, around that period.

It should be remembered the Afghans are known for making copy guns, but I dont see a S/S .410 would be worth doing. I would accept is as genuine and use it as a nice wall piece. Its not going to be worth much, in the UK maybe $50.00.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2009
  4. davidnamandabugg

Thanks for the information, The holster came from Afghanistan also, That was why I was thinking maybe RHA, custom made for an officer of the RHA. It looks to nice to be a copy or replica.

5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Problem with holster was no British regiment I know of would stamp their initial that way, or so much. Also the crowns were not as used by any UK official body I know of. I am no expert, but have seen many.

Now thats not to say It isnt private purchase, designed and stamped up according to the owners spec. But we have no way of knowing that.

6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

When I first saw the pictures of the holster my thorughts went to that part of the world. It's like something similar to somthing I saw on a Jordanian Royal Guard officer.