The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening, my cousin has this rifle and he wants to know more information about it. I did some extensive research and found that it may be a German hunting rifle of some sort. I found some rifles from mentioning "Anschutz" and some of their rifles look pretty similar to this one, I just can't find an exact one. On one side of the receiver, I can make out the word "Zella", which I discovered is a town in Germany called Zella-Mehlis. On the other side of the receiver, I think I can make out the letters "H. C. R". After the "R", the letters fade out pretty badly. Other than that, I could not see any more marks on the firearm. What my cousin would like to know is what year, or around what year, was the firearm manufactured and how much could it sell for? I know it's in a pretty rough condition, but he would like to know anyways. Thank you.
Blue Wood Bicycle handlebar Fender Denim
Musical instrument Wood Writing implement Electric blue Metal
Tire Blue Automotive tire Wheel Wood
Wood Door Bumper Auto part Automotive wheel system
Wood Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Close-up
Water Blue Wood Musical instrument Line
Hand Blue Wood Sleeve Gesture
Automotive tire Tire Wood Road surface Bumper
Sports equipment Wood Sleeve Door Skateboard
Sleeve Finger Shotgun Denim Wrist

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Given that the muzzle on the left barrel is thin enough to have been crushed I'm going to assume this is a double barreled shotgun and not a double rifle. Time frame probably around the 1850's give or take a decade either way. Value would depend on condition and this one is in poor condition, value would be as a wall hanger and fairly low. Probably a couple hundred in a private sale if you could find a buyer, and less than a hundred from a dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Given that the muzzle on the left barrel is thin enough to have been crushed I'm going to assume this is a double barreled shotgun and not a double rifle. Time frame probably around the 1850's give or take a decade either way. Value would depend on condition and this one is in poor condition, value would be as a wall hanger and fairly low. Probably a couple hundred in a private sale if you could find a buyer, and less than a hundred from a dealer.
Yeah its a shotgun. Not sure why I put rifle. Thank you for the information.

·
Premium Member
15,355 Posts
If it says Zella-Mehlis, it is not an Anschutz. They were in Ulm. Suhl and Zella-Mehlis were/are like the Connecticut River valley in the US, the heart of German gun making. There was government proof houses in both towns but not when that gun was made. There was no German, Federal proof law until 1891-93.

Value, as has been said, as a wall hanger. Maybe $300 but I wouldn't give.....well, I wouldn't buy it.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Value, as has been said, as a wall hanger. Maybe $300 but I wouldn't give.....well, I wouldn't buy it.
Sharps we have several old shotguns in similar states of disrepair that are basically dead inventory, nobody wants them. They came in as part of collections otherwise they wouldn't be taking up space in the warehouse.

·
Premium Member
15,355 Posts
And sure as the world if you throw them out, next week you'll need a part off one. I guess a fella could strip them? They would take up less room....maybe?

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Most of the parts are one off and won't fit on another one off old relic. I supose a person could disassemble them and sell the parts on fleabay, but then somebody has to pay wages to strip them down and list all those parts. They could be put on display with 25 dollar price tags and some of them might go away, but real estate in the show room is worth more than the 25 bucks for a wall hanger when that space could be inhabited by a shootable antique or reproduction rifle. I have an old Brit wall hanger double barrel that I got for free and the only reason I have it is that the makers name is the same as my father's name.

Reactions: sharps4590
1 - 10 of 10 Posts