The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Goldmann double rifle in 11.15 X 60R for....close to 25 years. It took me forever to work up an accurate load that regulated and I was happy with it. However, being the inveterate experimenter, occasionally I have to try something different, like when Old Eyensford black powder came out. Took me a few years to get a couple pounds but it's been setting on the shelf begging to be tried in the double.

I had 6 empty cases and quite a few bullets cast, deer season opens next Saturday so I thought what the heck, no time like the present to see what it will do without using a duplexed load. So I calculated the powder charge weight without the usual 5 grs. of SR-4759 and it came out to 72 grs. Ok, drop tube the charge into the cases, lube the bullets and seat them then take the short walk to the range. I'd always heard OE was hotter than the normal run of black powders but I didn't expect what I got.

1st shot from the right barrel printed to the left of center. Hmmm...must be me or the sun shining on the front bead. 1st shot from the left barrel printed to the right of center. Must be me...you will shoot away from the glare. Ok, normally the first shots from a clean barrel print high but I decided to keep the 6 O'clock hold. Son-of-a-gun if the 2nd shot from the right barrel didn't print with the 1st shot. Left barrel did the same as did the subsequent two shots. Now I'm out of that load but they're crossing....and I can remedy that. I was.....surprised....perplexed. I'd never had a straight BP load cross from this rifle, they were always too slow. Now I have a straight BP load that's crossing. Next time I try some I'll drop off 5 grs. and see where that puts the rifle. Interesting, to me....in an odd sort of way. Target below.

P1010004.JPG

As deer season is so close I decided to check my usual load for this rifle; 5 grs. of SR-4759 on the last ones I loaded with 68 grs. of the old GOEX Cartridge. I have a little over a pound of it and they haven't made it in 20 or more years. I ran a wet patch then two dry patches through the bores so they'd be mostly clean. 6 O'clock hold again, 1st shot from the right barrel a little high and ever so slightly left of center but eminently usable. 1st shot from the left barrel about 2 inches left of the first shot. Not as close as I'd like but this rifle is almost 150 years old and has a little pitting in both bores. I decided to try two more. This is where it got real interesting. 2nd shot from the right barrel went in at about 1 O'clock and in the center. 2nd shot from the left barrel printed 1/2 inch from the first and a little high. Man that is CLOSE for a brand new double rifle, let alone one this old with pitted bores.

A couple observations. Those who have shot much BP know that often, if not always, a fouling shot will season the bore and is usually not in the group. This should be prima facie evidence of that. Secondly, I never change up things a little with this rifle that it doesn't teach me another lesson in double rifle shooting and loading.

Sooo...with deer season just around the corner, when I take this rifle opening morning I can either foul the barrels the night before and hold 6 o"clock or, use them after wiping the bore and still hold 6 O'clock and just a week bit to the right. Once the season is over I'm going to pursue some more of this GOEX Cartridge load and see if it will continue to hold that grouping. It should, if I do my part. Duplexed loads shoot incredibly clean for black powder. Last target below.

All shooting was done at 50 yards, benched with me holding the rifle in my hand, across the rest. If you rest a double rifle on the forearm weird crap starts happening with the groups. Sort of a long story but basically it has to do with the recoil impulses.

P1010003.JPG

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's because the bullets exit the barrels before they rise far enough in recoil and move far enough in their respective right or left direction for them to be....regulated, to be shooting together. The remedy is to either use a heavier bullet or slow it down, to give time for the barrels to move farther in recoil before the bullet exits the barrel. That's why O/U doubles are generally easier to regulate and a bit more accurate. The barrels only recoil in one plane, vertical. There is no horizontal element.

·
Super Moderator
26,873 Posts
I'd be happy with the second round.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'd want to do the second target another time or two to be sure what I was seeing was consistent.

If it held, I'd foul both barrels before going out. That's what I did with my inline so that I knew where it would shoot on the first hunting shot of the day.

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gr, howlin' G-2, once season is over or, if I kill out quick, I fully intend to pursue that second target some more. Problem is, if it's really that good, GOEX Cartridge hasn't been available for decades. Yes Gary, the data is on the target and I have a habit of keeping targets for decades for reference. Not just for the load data but to re-examine the groups.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
gr, howlin' G-2, once season is over or, if I kill out quick, I fully intend to pursue that second target some more. Problem is, if it's really that good, GOEX Cartridge hasn't been available for decades. Yes Gary, the data is on the target and I have a habit of keeping targets for decades for reference. Not just for the load data but to re-examine the groups.
I just checked at Cabelas Canada and you can still get GOEX Cartridge powder. Cost is about $50 a tin.

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really? I expect the price is because it unobtanium? I believe it was ultimately replaced by Old Eyensford....but I'm gonna check. I know it was discontinued for a long time.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
4,336 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gr, I checked the GOEX web site and they don't have Cartridge. That has to be new, old stock. It is as I suspected, Old Eyensford is their premium powder.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Sorry for getting your hopes up.🙁

I thought that sense it was avable up here , they were still making it.
Must be as you say, new old stock.

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last GOEX Cartridge I bought was in maybe the early 90's. They made a "1st batch" and it was excellent. "2nd batch" wasn't quite as good but still better in cartridges than their regular grades. Then the plant blew up and killed the two guys who developed the powder and evidently took the secrets of the recipe with them. As far as I knew, when the second batch was gone, that was it. Then came a plethora of fake black powders. Then someone started importing Swiss and it is really good. GOEX kinda got put on notice and developed Old Eyensford...and it's gives up very little to Swiss.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts