The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
10,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Factory new dpms

Problem charging 1st round. Insert clip, doesn't matter what clip, pull the charging handle and it will not fully chamber the 1st round. You have to use the forward assist

Upon last shot in the clip the bolt holds open normally, insert a new clip and hit the bolt slide and it chambers with no problem. Something to do with the charging handle.

Other than this the rifle works normally.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Dry bolt is my guess. Youre supposed to put 2-3 drops of oil down the gas key before shooting it for the first time. I go one further and disassemble thje entire bolt for a wipedown and lube job before shooting.

The reason it chambered fine after firing it is because the carbon residue leftover form the gas that operated the action acts as a bit of a dry lube.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I'd pop the rear take-down pin and open it up. Then pull back on the charging handle slowly to remove the bolt, then the charging handle. As you do this watch to see that the bolt AND the charging handle are in their proper tracks. If the charging handle isn't installed properly, it can cause a drag on the bolt.

Next inspect the bolt carefully looking for any unusual signs of wear paying close attention to the gas pipe on top and the bolts holding it to the bolt carrier. Also look closely at the pin through the bolt carrier that holds in the bolt.

Now look inside the top of the receiver at the gas tube and inspect it for proper alignment and to inspect for unusual wear. Then inspect the feed ramps up into the chamber to make sure they are smooth and without burrs. Get a light inside the chamber and inspect for cleanliness.

Finally, were you shooting nasty steel Russian ammo by any chance? If you were, you might try some regular brass cased ammo to see if any of that helps. Some AR's Just don't work well with steel cased ammo.

Failing all the above to find the problem, I've got nothing!

ETA: JLA is right, I was assuming everything was properly lubed. AR's like to be a little wet.

·
Premium Member
13,000 Posts
My DPMS absolutely loves steel cased ammo!! It actually shoots it better than some of the brass I have put thru it. I like me some steel case!!

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Aint nuttn wrong with steel cased ammo. The cases are mild steel, and mild steel is almost as soft as brass. Plus nearly all of the new manufacture steel ammo is teflon coated so it actually doesnt wear anything it touches at all.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Never had that problem with my DPMS. Like DD says it eats everything good. Actually I think it works better than some higher priced rifles. At the range I see others with higher priced rifles having a lot of problems, mags falling out, jams, etc. mine nothing yet shoots and cycles great. Best deal I've found.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
To think your AR is special because it fires steel case is just silly. Some proclaim the fact that their AR fires the stuff like that is something to brag about.:D

Merry Christmas.

·
Premium Member
13,000 Posts
Nobody says its special. Calm down. My piece of junk, garbage, worthless, crap, scrap metal, DPMS, loves steel case ammo. That saves me money. There, is that better? One day I will grow up and get a real gun.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Nobody says its special. Calm down. My piece of junk, garbage, worthless, crap, scrap metal, DPMS, loves steel case ammo. That saves me money. There, is that better? One day I will grow up and get a real gun.
Why do most DMPS owners carry a chip on their shoulder?

Most forums choose mods that are level headed and don't get all bent over nothing.

My point was simple, tight chamber - steel cased will give you problems, loose chamber - usually no problems with it.

Steel case doesn't expand to seal the chamber as well as brass cased ammo. So most of the time if it functions it will allow gas and carbon to escape to the receiver. Result, carboned up chamber and receiver. Sometimes it just works fine...

It has nothing to do with brands so reach over and knock that chip off. :D

And I'll say it one more time, Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not trying to Hi-Jack the Thread:
My Old 3 Gun Days with DPMS / Steel Case Ammo
DPMS AR10 Platform - Shot Only Wolf Performance Ammo -Kept her Wet and No Issues

Switched to a 15 when the 10 got too heavy(Age)untill Arthur made me stop
Can not speak to the DPMS AR15 Platform

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Wow, sounds like we need to take up a TFF collection and get Double D a better AR! :D

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
lubed it up and its working fine.

thx
Sadly, when the new M-16 came out they said it was largely maintenance free and didn't even issue cleaning kits & lube. Most soldiers experienced the same thing you discovered. After that, you'll notice that most photos of troops in the field have a bottle of lube on their helmet cover band. They run best when well lubricated.

:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts