dpms lr-308 jams

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by sendit308, May 10, 2009.

1. sendit308

sendit308 New Member

Just recieced my new dpms lr-308 0n 050709 and I am totally dissatisfied. Took the firearm out the next day after a thorough cleaning and mounting optics for a barrel break-in session. First I shot 6 single shots cleaning between each shot, no problems, yet! Then I began to shot my 2 shot sequence, first shot went great, second shot failed to feed! Well I thought to myself "new gun just needs a few more rounds through it". Man was I wrong, the next three hours ended in disgust. After sleeping on the situation I headed out to the range again the next morning. After spending several hours and trying several types of ammo and varying the number of rounds in the magazine I was still having the same problem. I noticed the only time I had a failure to feed was when the round was coming from the leftside of the double stack mag, no matter the number of rounds in the mag. Also both mags acted the same way. I began checking the DPMS site and found several owners with the same problem. Many complained about the long turn around time for warranty repairs.

Can someone suggest a fix and an explination of what is causing the malfunction? Or do ya'll think I should bite the bullet and just send it back for repair. By the way ammo fired was blackhiils, hornady match, hornady tap and winchester, all in 168gr.:(:(

2. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL Member

Did your rifle come with C-PRODUCT magazines?

3. islenos

islenos Active Member

Sounds like a mag problem to me, either with the mag itself or possible failure of mag to lock up correctly.

4. sendit308

sendit308 New Member

Yes it came with c-products mag. Talked to DPMS today, they had me return the defective mags to exchange for new ones. The DPMS tech rep assured me this would solve my problem, I feel confident he is right. Can't wait to get the new ones so I can go shot some groups!:D Thanks for replying to my post.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  5. sendit308

sendit308 New Member

I'm back again, just got my replacement mags in yesterday. Went out to the range today and had the sane problems. Can someone please shed some light on this? It seems DPMS does not have a clue, since I was assured the replacement mags would solve the problem!

6. gtoken

gtoken New Member

I think Im having the same problem. I took my 308 out yesterday for the first time and had nothing but trouble. I used 2 C-Products mags and had same prob with both. I suppose I should get those replaced first if that doesnt fix it then send the gun back to DPMS. I have read on DPMS forums that sometimes that is required. I have a DPMS .223 and it shoots flawlessly without any problems at all. Its a dream to shoot.

7. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

8. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Must be a brand of magazine?

I checked the mags that came with both my DPMS rifles and neither of them said cmag on them anywhere... just DPMS Panther Arms on the bottom of the mag.

I really need to get out and check these rifles out. :(

mike
    gn

9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Any semi-auto magazine needs to guide the cartridges to a place where the bolt can pick them up and shove them into the chamber. Typically, the cartridge's bullet is placed into the chamber while the cartridge is still partially in the magazine. In most guns the feed lips of the magazine control the cartridge while the ramp machined into the receiver guides the bullet nose into the chamber.

It is important to know how the cartridges are misfeeding to know what the fix might be. Does the bullet miss the chamber? Does it feed high or low or to far to the right or left or get caught on the receivers feed ramp. Adjustment to the mag lips might alleviate the feeding problems. It also may be that the feed ramp is machined wrong in the receiver. Or the feed ramp may just need a mirror finish (without removing any metal).

Anyway a good gunsmith may be able to adjust the mag lips or even fix the receiver feed ramp (often just polishing the feed ramps improves feeding). Changing manufacturer of the magazines might do the trick as well. The least cost solution is to send the gun back to the manufacturer. The fastest approach is to try different magazines (if any exist???). The next fastest is to take the gun to a gunsmith who knows this particular gun well and have him fix the problem. You choose!

If you choose to adjust the lips yourself you need to know what adjustment to the lips change the attitude of the cartridge that is being fed and you must know exactly how the mag is misfeeding to know how to fix it. You need dummy rounds and patience to slowly work the bolt and observe how the cartridges are feeding. Tightening the front of the feeding lips lowers the bullet nose to cure high feeding while tightening the rear lips raises the bullet nose to cure low feeding. Adjustment to the left or right of the lips correct left or right misfeeding. When the feeding is done at operational speeds the results may be a little different than when done slowly so you have to test for that by operating the bolt as fast as possible by hand. It most certainly is worth a try if you cannot get another manufacturer's magazine for your gun.

LDBennett

10. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL Member

Before you bend anything, please describe the "EXACT" problem and how many rounds and cleaning menu.

Exact!!, will help greatly.

11. gtoken

gtoken New Member

Here is bottom view looking up at the bolt through an empty C-Products magazine. This is where the bolt is stopping. With the DPMS mag in this does not happen.

Attached Files:

12. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I wonder if that mag is causing any damage to the bolt. Seems unlikely. Did you or someone else say that these c mags came with the rifle? They are a ton cheaper. But like so many guns in the past I have had experience with, some aftermarket clips just don't work. Nowadays on something so particular like this DPMS i buy the factory ones. They cost 3 times as much but hay. If these came with the gun then its a matter of the factory trying to catch up with demand and no go.

I remember a buddy trying to use a cheap aftermarket clip for an sks. He bend the lips this way then that way for hours, never did work.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  13. gtoken

gtoken New Member

I called DPMS last week and they were confident there was nothing wrong with their equipment. So I called C-products, they were totally about the customer. They acknowledged there *could* be a problem with their magazines and offered replacements no questions asked. Thats what I like. I should have the replacements in a couple days although it may be a few weeks before I can go shooting again. I'll update when I know anything.

14. phantomofone

phantomofone New Member

just today I got my new dpms lr-308 it's not ejecting the casings, and it's having feeding problems, where the round that you fired is only pulled simi out of the breech and the new round is pressing it in the breech wall. (IE) both round are stuck in the same hole. so this is what I did to make it work.

clean your rifle, take the bolt out , take it all apart and clean and oil it well, don't wipe off the oil put it together,

remove the clip, then pull the bolt back and let it go, do this about 30 to 60 times, it's what I had to do to make my gun work.

Clean your gun after doing this remove excess oil so you gun don't explode when you fire it.

one's your rifle is clean of excess oil, go see if it works for you to. Hope this helps some of you.

15. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

You don't have to go to the range to test fire your rifle. Get a large old beach towel and fold it as many times as you can. Then set the towel on the dirt in your back yard. Push the barrel of the rifle into the towel and pull the trigger. The towel will obsorb all of the sound and your neighbors will not hear a thing.
    You should refold the towel after each shot so that you are never firing through the same hole.
    Note: make sure your towel is over dirt and not rocks. Rocks could deflect the bullet.
    If you don't have a backyard with dirt, you can fill a 5 gallon bucket up with moist sand and accomplish the same thing. Just make sure you hold the rifle so that you are firing straight down in to the sand and NOT at an angle. A .308 bullet will only travel about half way down the bucket of sand before it stops. After each shot fill in the hole in the sand with more sand and refold your towel.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009