DPMS LR308 question...

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by glocknut, Apr 29, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I have 2 DPMS rifles. Haven't shot either one of them yet... :rolleyes: I noticed the DPMS website has a forum so i looked it over. There were 2 threads that spoke of feeding/cycling problems with DMPS LR308 rifles. They posted pics of 308 rounds that were actually "bent"...you could see the bullet and neck of the case were bent over a bit. More than one mentioned how 2 rounds would be striped out of the mag at one time...

Does anyone here own one of these rifles? Have you encountered this...or "heard" of this happening?

Tell me honestly.... Are DPMS rifles Junk?

mike
    gn

2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I have one Mike. I have not had any pro with mine. I have the 308lr with the 24" bbl. good rifle. i guess all manufacturers can run into problems but dpms is a good company, i am sure they would make it right. shoot yours and see. for now dont worry about it.

3. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

They admit on their website that they're backed up allmost 200k rifles on orders and its a 14 month wait. Yeah, they might make it right...but when?
    Thank God i bought the PTR....

mike
    gn

4. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I have a DPMS LR308, and it has given me a problem from the beginning. I am shooting Remington factory ammo and the bolt jams closed. I thought the problem was a broken case at first. I finally got the bolt open, cleaned the bore to a mirror shine, and tried it again. The first two rounds seemed to fire fine, but the third round jammed the bolt shut again. Took it to a gun smith. He got the bolt open and was able to get the live round out of the chamber. He looked it over and didn't see any problems. He said it probably had a small piece of a case stuck on the wall of the barrel that dislodged itself when he hammered the bolt open. Took the rifle home and loaded a new magazine with Winchester cartridges this time. Fired first two rounds perfectly, and then the bolt jammed shut again. I currently have a live round in the rifle with the bolt jammed shut. It alsmost sound like they did not bore the throat long enough or something. I hope they don't give me a hard time about sending it back to them. We will soon find out.
    And yes, I realize I have to get the live round out of the chamber before shipping the rifle.

5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Well I have been curious so i got on the DPMS forum and checked it out. I have to say I think for the number of rifles they sell the number of complants seem very small. One of the complants seems to me that it is probably the lips of the clips that are causing a feed problem. Bluesea's problem is strange and I am curious to see what the problem is. Please keep us posted Bluesea. I did learn one thing, the sportical does not come with a crome lined bbl. That left me with a sour tast. Other than that I noticed that one of the other compants was a guy having feed or eject problems (dont remember) but he was also using aftermarket parts. So I have to disreguard that one. I dunno. I havent had any problems and like i said i dont see an excessive number of complants. Believe you me, if I could have found another rifle (HK type) with a 24 or 26" bull bbl I would have bought it as long as it wasnt 5K.

6. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

It is very dangerous to remove a live round by pounding on a rod down the barrel, even if the bolt is out. I read about someone who was killed, they were on the stock end of the gun when the cartridge fired and made a projectile out of the case.

7. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I here you Suwannee_Tim. I plan for the round to go off, so I make sure none of my digits are in line of the breech or muzzle. If the round fires, the only thing exposed to the muzzle is the rubber mallet head, the ceiling, and the floor. I appreciate your concern though. Even though I plan for the worst case scenario, it still makes me nervous.

8. Kid_RT

Kid_RT New Member

Hello, I recently bought a new LR .308 and was having the same trouble with the jamming and double feeding, and was also bending the casings of the shells. A couple of days ago i ordered a C-products Magazine after reading some articles off of this website and now the gun fires flawlessly.

9. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

This seems to be the case with many AR-10 manufactures. People that have good ones swear by them but the people that get some bad ones seem to get most of the attention.

Also AR-10s seem to be picky about the ammo the first shoot. Some companies make the tolerances so tight that the rifles may seem to be plagued with problems until broken in by firing a few hundred rounds. So what seems like the rifle could also be the ammo. A small inconsistency in the ammo being fired in a tight brand new rifle might make it seem like its the rifle.

10. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Well, I think I have solved my problem for the moment. I started using reloads and seating the bullet a few thousands deeper than the deepest factory stuff I had on hand. So far it feeds great.
    If I set it out as far out as the manuals say I should, my bolt locks up on the 3rd shot.

11. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

After KID-RT's post, I am going to have to replace the battery's on my spam alert blinker.

12. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

took sending it back twice to get DPMS to fix the problem. Had to send in 150 rounds and 5 of my mags. I can say now that it is running great. Most of the problems were ejection related. While DPMS says there was nothing wrong with the rifle the parts list of replaced parts would tell a different story.
    BTW turn around time was between 2 and 3 weeks. Just need to be real firm with DPMS representative, not obnoxious, just firm.

13. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

"Firm".....like the little old lady on the Discount Tire commercial who returns a tire through the plate glass window at the front of the store?

14. palerider77

palerider77 New Member

lol i can assure u it's not the ammo,i bought my dpms lr308 back in early 09.my first clip with the ammo they said to use 3 shots in and it jammed like above. i've tried many diffrent types of ammo/grain so on.i sent my lr308 back to dpms talked to shane ups lost my rifle and after 2 months and shane getting into ups's ass with threats of atf,all the sudden it showed up.

he said they shot it outta the box and no problems.said they polished it and it was working great/"btw i tried to tell them from the looks of it it seemed to be the feed tabs on the mag that was the problem.u can take your finger and push the round through and it will hang up everytime on the neck of the round.it will leave a big scrap down the bullet all the way down the brass.if you cycle the rounds through the gun with the pressure of the bolt you will get the jams and bent rounds like mine still does.

swear that everything is great but outta the box iv'e had nothing but problems.bad part is i really like dpms their ar15's are great never had a problem but the ar10 has been a mess.i still think it's the mags/clips.im gunna try the cmags and hope it works because i love the rifle it's great and very accurate all i want is for it to be dependable....

15. palerider77

palerider77 New Member

what did they replace?