The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do not, nice looking rifle though. Only personal experience I have with DPMS is the LPK in the AR I just built and I am quite pleased, no problems with the install and the rifle functioned flawlessly on my first trip to the range with it.

Can't speak to the fairness of the price since I have never priced built rifles.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I have a few DPMS rifles and they all are good guns. No complaints here. I prefer a black gun though.

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
A guy I work with has one and loves it. I know he has put 1000's of rounds down range and has had no problems.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
It looks pretty much just like the way I'm leaning for my very first AR build. I think I'm going to go with a flat top gas block though so I can put whatever front sight on it I want and get the carry handle for the flat top upper that has the red/green reflex sight.

I like the contrast for the butt stock and fore stock so I'm going to buy them either in a tan or OD green I think.

Not sure where I'm going to get a barrel yet - DPMS shows most of them out of stock.

I'm also not sure what I should get when it comes to the twist rate. Going with a 16" barrel it seems to me that the rifle will have better accuracy with a 1:7 twist rate rather than a 1:9... However, I could very well be wrong on this. I haven't been able to find out much info on twist rates.

I did go with the advice guys here gave me though for the lower receiver and stayed away from the polymers. I bought a forged lower though not aluminum - I bought one forged from a magnesium alloy from MAG Tactical Systems. (The lower with the lower parts kit for a little less than $200 including shipping and FFL transfer I couldn't pass up).

Now it is work my butt off and save, save, save for the rest of the parts.

·
Registered
336 Posts
For the majority of the (used to be) readily available commercial ammunition bullet weights of 55 grains through 62 grains, the 1:9 twist is the one that I use. With the 1:9 I can even get quite acceptable accuracy with 45-50 grain ballistic tips for varmints and with the 68 grain JHP Match Hornady's over Varget I get 1/2 MOA groups at 200 yards. However, once you move into the 500-600 yard and 77-80 grain bullet (single shot) target accuracy quest like the folks shooting at the NRA Nationals, the 1:7 twist makes pretty much the only sense. Lesser twist rates such as the 1:9 do not totally effectively stabilize the seriously heavier and more importantly longer rifling bearing surface match bullets.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Under 150 yds, I cant really see much difference between 1:9 and 1:7 twist. I guess I am not a detail kind of guy. I have 1:7, 1:8, 1:9 barrels. But I mostly buy and shoot 55 and 62gr bullets and any of these will shoot these fine. If you are shooting real heavy bullets, you need a 1:7 twist, but I seldom do. The majority of ARs are being made with 1:9 twist. I think that is sufficient for most people. Some may not agree I am sure....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts