The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yeah you can buy 22lr conversion kits for about $180. I've always wanted to buy 1 but keep talking myself out of it. Maybe some day.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to the AR platform. Only built one and that was because I didn’t want to be the only bozo without one. Seems like they’re kind of like Tinker Toys, can’t you buy an complete AR 22LR upper and just swap it out? Prices are probably crazy now but a couple years ago a PSA complete upper wasn’t anymore than his $200 budget.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
The only problem that I can see besides fouling with these conversions is the twist rate. The twist rate at anywhere between 1:7 and 1:9 is a bit quick for a 40 grain .22 LR round. It would probably do great with the longer 60 grain Aguilas. I've heard some say that it shoots fine for a plinker with standard ammo. I think @zant gets good results. It probably does as long as you're not expecting super accuracy. The standard M&P 15-22 AR clone that S&W makes has a 1:15 twist rate barrel. That's a much slower and maybe more appropriate rifling for the short 40 grainers that we most commonly shoot in .22 LR. That's just my opinion. I've contemplated the conversion on one of my safe dwelling basic ARs and I decided against it for that reason.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Can he get it with the threaded barrel and will it take a suppressor the same as a .22 rifle?
It'll likely have 1/2 x 28 threads. A .22 LR suppressor will likely not hold up to a .223 round, but the .223 suppressor will work for either.

·
GUNZILLA
8,059 Posts
The only problem that I can see besides fouling with these conversions is the twist rate. The twist rate at anywhere between 1:7 and 1:9 is a bit quick for a 40 grain .22 LR round.
These were my exact thoughts, he would be better off with a 22lr upper.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
I built a dedicated upper using a 10.5 1/9 barrel and blocked off the unneeded gas port.Used a CMMG kit....Shoots 60gr Aguila dead on at 50yds....40gr Aguila and CCI standard will run a .22 steel rack at 50yds no problem.Suppressed ----the most fun,everybody shoots it and don't want to let it go.

·
Super Moderator
43,990 Posts
You can buy a 22 upper and switch them out.
I did that myself, but then I couldn't stand seeing that upper just laying there, so I had to build another lower to put on the upper = another complert AR, just in .22 LR.

The bad thing is that I did not research the CMMG complete upper enough. I bought it thinking it had a regular screw off flash hider, so I could use the suppressor with it, but it was a one piece barrel.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Gadget Font Material property Technology Auto part
Cosmetics Font Material property Liquid Audio equipment

This was in the stuff my dad left me when he passed. I haven't opened it yet but I do have alot of 22 rounds waiting lol

This particular one retails 225-250

I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to the AR platform. Only built one and that was because I didn’t want to be the only bozo without one. Seems like they’re kind of like Tinker Toys, can’t you buy an complete AR 22LR upper and just swap it out? Prices are probably crazy now but a couple years ago a PSA complete upper wasn’t anymore than his $200 budget.
You can get a complete lower, buffer tube, stock, EVERYTHING for less than 200$ still

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I've used CMMG conversion kits in a bunch of different ARs. They work very well in all. You won't get the usual "tack driver" .22 accuracy because of the rate of twist, but decent plinking accuracy. The only gripe I had - with all 3 rifles (Colt, Bushmaster and Anderson) - was that the spent .22 cases sometimes lodged in the charging handle. The groove in the charging handle is just large enough to catch a spent .22 case rim.

Mentioned before was the carbon build up in the gas tube from firing some .22 ammunition. I've always made a habit of firing a full magazine of 5.56mm after shooting .22 ammo just to blow the carbon out of the gas tube. I also do this to re-set my sights for 5.56mm because point of impact on target differs between .22 long rifle and 5.56mm.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts